Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sucker that I am...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucker that I am...

I volunteered to chaperone DD's Halloween party and bring snack. I have been advised that I need to bring a snack that is lactose free, nut free, and that a type 1 diabetic can eat. Um....I'm kind of at a loss so where else would I turn to but you guys? Thoughts for a festive snack that everyone can eat?
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I always bring multiple snacks. A fruit tray (strawberries, grapes, and melons), a cheese and cracker tray, and a cookie tray. This covers all the bases for all the children.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Give me a break. A snack that a type 1 diabetic can eat? Nothing. Maybe cheese, but that's even questionable...

Steven has type 1 diabetes and a peanut allergy and as a parent I go to these parties and if there is nothing he can eat I give him something from my stash... But...

There is no snack that will meet all those criteria- a typical snack for a lactose free kid would be fruit and veggies maybe (can't have that with type 1 diabetes-- even carrots have carbs), and a snack for a type 1 diabetic would be cheese and peanut butter, and a nut free kid would be crackers and chips most likely.

Good luck. Pollyanna's snack idea would work, but that's a lot of snack for one person to bring. I don't really think that's fair... ESPECIALLY if you are the chaperone too.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Yup, I hate to say it, but I will not volunteer to do this again. It kind of feels ridiculous. I will go with Pollyanna's idea but I don't look forward to spending $25 and an extra grocery outing in order to do this. Then I have to confirm with the school nurse that everythign is alright. Next thing I know I'll run into one of those parents that Flynn describes who demands that the snack be organic and or locally produced too.

I feel crotchety but feel vindicated that a parent of a kid with a special dietary need sees the ridiculousmess of this too.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Do you have a room parent that can coordinate the snacks/party? We typically have 5-8 parents helping out with parties in the lower grades, especially Halloween. And you have to consult with the nurse? Seriously, that is stupid.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

uuuh. Wow. In a situation like this, I think it is only fair that you bring a typical snack and that the child/children with special dietary needs bring their own.

Holy buckets.

Kris

ETA: I would ask the teacher what her recommendation is....
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I would ask the teacher what she suggests...surely she must have felt stupid asking you to bring snack with all those qualifications. While my kids don't have any allergies, if they did I wouldn't dream of imposing on everyone else. It would be MY job to be sure they have a snack to bring that they can eat. I seriously cannot think of one thing that a kid would eat that would satisfy all those requirements. Geez.

Comment

Bottled water and celery?

That's a huge set of restrictions!
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

WAIT! I've got it Kelly. Since Steven can only eat about 2 different foods as a snack, his usual as a type-1 diabetic with peanut allergy is cheese. And he can't drink any juice or milk or anything-- just water. As a treat he can have the 0-carb 0-calorie flavored water drinks.

But I remembered the OTHER snack he can have: Celery. So there you go. A stalk of celery. That's the snack! And water. YUMMY!

(You'll never be asked to bring snack again as a bonus!)
                  Peggy

Comment

Haha!! We cross posted!!
                    Peggy

Comment

Too funny Peggy!
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Edamame!
                        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Celery was my first thought, too.

Comment

I'm amazed one person is doing all of that. Our party responsibilities are VERY CAREFULLY DIVVIED UP , documented, turned in to the teacher, the coordinator of the room coordinators AND the school nurse for approval (not freaking kidding one bit). 1 person is assigned to "host" (which means nag everyone else to turn in their info), 2 people are in charge of games, 2 people are in charge of drinks, 2 people are in charge of snacks (one healthy, one "fun"), 1 person handles paper products ... again NOT kidding. Food, drinks and game choices must be turned in a week ahead of time for approval. As far as chaperoning, these folks take these parties so seriously that there are often more parents than kids. The parking lots are full, parents leave work early, it's a freaking nuthouse.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                              Edamame!

Has Carbs...
                              Peggy

Comment

Working...
                              X