Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Homework!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homework!

Does that word just promote within you the visceral response to scream and cry? It does me. I received an email from my daughter's teacher (excerpt below), and I am thinking of sending the following in response.

*Progress Reports went home today! If you would like to set up a conference please let me know. Two-digit addition is the focus and in math. We recently introduced how to regroup (carry to the tens place). Please practice this at home.

*We have been super busy getting ready for the play next Thursday. It is IMPERATIVE that your child knows their lines when they come to school on Monday. If your child has not returned the yellow paper about attending the play, please send it back Monday.

*If your child is not following directions during rehearsals, they are asked to sit out. The last two days we have had SEVERAL students sit out. Please review the importance of following directions at school, I feel badly about having our friends miss out of fun activities.

*Since the play is next week, we will not have new spelling words/ math facts or a new reading test. We will resume the regular schedule the following week.

*Homework Note: Several students are not completing their spelling activities or their nightly TIMED passage reading. Please help your child to remember to do their homework nightly!

Ms. _______,

Alexia isn't finishing her spelling homework because we never received instructional guidance on how to do the spelling homework. Also, we feel that she just has too much homework. If you want to set up a conference to discuss this, please let me know. Otherwise, she probably will not be doing all of the assigned homework regularly. She has extracurricular activities several times a week as well as family obligations. I do think that her education is of the utmost importance; however, I feel that she is doing quite well in her academic endeavors without the added homework and projects.

Please review the following article for a summation of my thoughts on the issue:

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=7376
    So, do you agree with me, or the teacher who gives first graders 30-60 minutes at a minimum of homework Monday through Thursdays plus occasional projects?

Should I send the e-mail?
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Lol. I'm staying out if this one!

When aidan's first grade teacher asked me to send in the completed homework packet that he was given to work on over the Christmas break, I just chuckled and wrote back "silly girl, you didn't think that made it past the front door did you? I trashed it. ". But I've known her for 8 years and we drink margaritas together.

I'd go for a more humorous approach or I'd try being kind but honest.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I would reword the email, asking what is the expected amount of time for a child to spend on homework (many of my friends in education agree that 15 minutes per grade level in elementary school for homework and studying is a pretty good rule of thumb). I would ask for clarification on spelling homework. Is it just studying the spelling words (some kids can do this in five minutes when the words are assigned)? You are not alone in thinking homework has gotten out of hand. This is the number one complaint I hear from my friends whose kids are high performers. It also has been demonstrated over and over that homework teaches kids NOTHING (but that is an entirely different discussion). I think the way it's written comes off as adversarial, and your child could bear the brunt of that.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I don't think 30 minutes is excessive, but anything over 30-45 seems a bit much to me. Depends on the kid, though. For some kids it might take 20 minutes to finish the same homework that someone else needs 2 hours to finish. I've got kids on both ends of that spectrum. :P

Comment

So, I shouldn't say, "all future diorama assignments can be shoved up your ass?"

I'm kidding. But seriously? How do I say that I think homework for first graders is ridiculous, stupid, horrible, intrusive, and evil in a fluffy and cute way? I don't know her well enough to speak about margaritas or joke with her about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ugh. I *hate* dioramas.

Comment

I feel that I assign a reasonable amount of homework. If a parent sent me an email saying that the amount of HW was too much, had a reasonable arguement, and had a student who was excelling in school, I would be hard-pressed not to accept a lesser amount of homework. However, I know that I am in the minority! For most teachers (being products of American education as well as educators), homework is this super-important, only way kids are going to learn thing. Some kids just "get" stuff with less need for repitition. I am all for fairness - not equity. I tell all my students and parents that I am human, they are human, so if they have an issue, let's resolve it like humans

If the teacher is young, she may feel it's her job to pile on the homework - as a sign to parents that she's teaching during the day ("See, here's homework for all the things we did in class"). If she's an older, more seasoned teacher, all bets are off! I would add in something to the effect of "I understand that assigning homework is the status quo for American schools, however, it should be assigned in moderation, and with consideration given to the number of courses a student has, the needs of the students, and the other demands placed on the students' time."

Good luck! They always say teachers' kids are the worst to teach...we'll see if that holds true when we have kids
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

My 1st grader get two worksheets a day of homework. One is usually two-sided. In addition, we have spelling words, math facts, word wall words, reading minutes, high frequency words tests 4 times a week along with occasional projects.

We were struggling with my strong-willed DD to participate. I finally told her teacher that we couldn't do it all because I wanted to keep my house a happy home. Things are much better now.
                Needs

Comment

I think the teacher is a bit out of line to put an adder on the email about the play saying that some kids are not turning in the required work. If my kid isn't, please address this to me directly, not in some passive/aggressive group email.

As for your response... I feel the same way. I hate the homework (and the math curriculum, but that is another post). Caleb only has about 10-15 minutes a night and he prefers to breeze through most of the weekly homework packet so that he can have at least one night off during the week.

What about approaching it along the lines of:

Dear Teacher,

I wanted to touch base with you about the homework you mentioned in your email below. Is Lexi falling into this group? If so, I want to make sure that we are on the same page. How long should the homework assignments take, on average? Currently, she is working a minimum of 30 minutes a night and sometimes up to 60 minutes. This is much more that we had expected. Because of these differing expectations, she is involved in outside activities and this combination is impinging on our limited time together as a family. If you would like, we could schedule a time to meet to discuss what she should be focusing on.
                  TBH - there are nights when Caleb cannot keep his butt in a chair and focus enough to do the work. It isn't a matter of ability, but focus for him. Sometimes, he is confused by the directions and needs a bit more guidance. Who knows what is going on, but approaching it as a "hey, this isn't what we were expecting" may soften the impact to the teacher.
                  Kris

Comment

Well, I personally feel that 5 minutes is excessive. That's just me, but it is how I feel. Homework for first graders is lame.

Here was her homework for every day this past week:

Complete Math worksheet
                    Read for 20 minutes and record title in planner
                    Choose a spelling acitivity
                    Lexia on the computer - at least 15 minutes
                    Timed Reading - Fluency page

Alexia is new to the class as of January because we moved in. We were never given any instruction on the spelling homework. Since that time we have done one big project with a diorama and poster board and research paper. It was even billed as a "family project". I shit you not. Like my family has nothing better to do than to sit around and glue rocks inside a shoebox together. We also had to affix 100 non-perishable items to a hat that the child was supposed to wear to school for the 100th day. This teacher is also wanting the kids to do a book report (WTF?) every month.

Not my bag. I am so over homework.

Comment

I don't know, Heidi...I battle this too... and it goes past 1st grade. My issue is that I believe homework shouldn't be assigned until kids can be responsible for doing it on their own (with help if they ask me). Color me a bad mom, but I cook, clean, do laundry, handle the emotional and physical needs and at some point in the day, I really do need to just sit down and relax. Homework in the early years is mostly mom homework. I feel like crying when i see it...and then I feel angry...and then I feel not good enough..which makes me angrier.

I tend to just ignore the emails now and go about the business of being a slacker. I haven't signed my first graders reading minutes in more than 2 months. This year, our district has scaled back first graders homework because apparently, I'm not the only slacker mom ... and ... enough people made appointments with the superintendent to discuss it ....

I think you are completely within your rights to email the teacher back and set up a conference ... then go in and tell her that you are concerned that the homework is too much for her at this age and with the family commitments that you have. At this age, the kids really should be allowed to complete their homework in school and then be done with it.

In the UK right now, educators are visiting the idea of whether or not children should wait to begin any formal schooling until 6. They feel children need more time for play and fun and that starting schoolwork and homework in early years sets children up for what they call a "culture of deficiency" where they start to notice what they can't do instead of just growing and learning. I think homework should start about grade 4 ... or ... college ...LOL

ETA...I believe 5 minutes of homework for 1st grade is 5 minutes too many too.
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I think her tone is off. I wouldn't bother with an email. Call or visit the school and share your concerns. Who knows what's really going with the teacher and what pressure she may be getting from up above. Do they have a school site to see what projects activities are coming up? 1st grade is hard for kids to be held completely responsible for all she mentioned.
                        Danielle
                        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Crap - that is a ton of work for a 6-7 year old who can't self direct.
                          Kris

Comment

Yep, Yep, Yep.

I also think that if a bunch of six and seven year olds can't sit and be quit for a play, perhaps a play is not the most developmentally appropriate endeavor. But that would take this thread to my dark places.

But I'm beyond crotchety about schools and their *&^% policies. FWIW, my husband, myself, and my montessori educated first born son had VERY little homework until fifth grade. Things turned out just fine for DH and me and the fifth grader earns fantastic grades. Maybe it is something other than homework in the tender years that garners success.

ETA: I literally just threw away some "fun enrichment" doubles addition homework. DD is way beyond this and it is just busy work.
                            Last edited by houseelf; 02-25-2011, 03:16 PM.
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I've found that pretending I don't get the messages works but that's because I have an email phobic teacher to deal with (which has other problems since that's my preferred method of dealing with them)

I'd first determine if Lexi isn't doing well in one particular area and if not, you can tell her that you give Lexi X amount of time to do her homework and if it's not done, you believe in 'natural consequences' which sounds all well and good. We all know that the real natural consequences of not doing homework in first grade are mostly all positive but it makes it sound like you're taking it Very Seriously as one of your Parental Responsibilities.

I actually wouldn't mind a meaningful assignment but Nikolai's homework is stupid. He complains that it's stupid and I tell him that I agree but we all have stupid assignments and the sooner he knocks it out, the faster he can play. the only thing I really insist that he do every day is practice the piano but he thinks that is fun so it's not too tough.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X