Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Does your dh know the names of your kids' teachers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. He does.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I just quized DH if he knew the ballet teacher's name. DD isn't in school, that is the only class/activity she is in right now. He doesn't know her name. Even tho she has the same first name as HIS OWN MOTHER.
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

DH knows the dance teachers' names. And where the jazz teacher lives (her daughter is in M's class and takes E's class for extra help) since we take her daughter home quite a bit -- they aren't far from us.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

No.

At one point in residency he didn't even know that DD was attending the toddler program at the same school as her older brother!

I can't beat him up too much nowadays because he does help coach DS's lacrosse team and knows all of his friends on the team. We each contribute what we can and now it is a bit more balanced.
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

LOL Kelly. Dh doesn't know that I added a MDO day to Josie's schedule. He took a week of leave some time ago during school time (bc they banned summer leave this year, awesomeness) and he was surprised at how much "activity" goes on during the week. LOL... That included mostly kid drop offs and pick ups.

Dh knows the name of the swim team head coach, from the winter swim, but that's because he puts his name on everything. He does not know the names of any of the other coaches, even though there are only 4 of them that work with our kids. And dh is there for about 10% of the practices, maybe, and about 40% of the weekend meets.

Dh is the cub scout guy though, and knows the names of those people, at least for Steven's group. Still doesn't know much about Luke's group, but it's only been 2 years.

It is very funny (and sad) to me bc Dh is the guy who prides himself on remembering faces and names. He is truly freaky about it when he puts his mind to it. He will walk up to someone in the hospital who he met doing a surgery 3 years previous, and talk to the guy, reintroduce himself and how they met, etc. He isn't just clueless... It's to me a matter of priorities.

I'm terrible with names, but pretty good with faces. The kids are My Job, so of course I know the details of their days. But I also know the names of all the attendings, the residents (am learning the PGY2s, don't know the interns yet), the residents who graduated in the last 4 years... I just feel like I'm invested in Dh's day as much as possible by "knowing" about the people he works with. He has the mental capacity, and it's even easy for him to learn names, but why doesn't he focus on these things? Why not give a little slice of attention to these types of details? I don't know.

Oh, and Steven's teacher is one he's had before in 3rd grade, and Isabel's teacher this year is a repeat too. And Dh still doesn't know them. Josie's teacher is a repeat from preschool (Luke had her)!!

Of course dh got home after 10 and I'd already self medicated from a Very Stressful Day with 2 glasses of sangria... So I didn't bring this up, but I would be lying if I said that it didn't bug me. I feel like I'm an enabler for him most of the time. I make his life way too easy... And I notice that now at this time of the year because Christmas and Presents and Getting Stuff for Family Across the Country is all On Me... So I get a little more worked up about everything now...
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

He knows the primary preschool teacher but not the assistant or his speech therapist. I'm horrible with names so I give a pass on that kind of stuff.
              Danielle
              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

His guess was her teacher's name from last year. Not bad since we only go 1/week for 2 hours! DD corrected him, so now he knows.

Comment

I wish my dh would pay attention. It does hurt the kids how little he keeps up with their lives. I've especially seen this with the teen. But I can't approach him on it- he's never home and it's too emotionally charged anyway. He's giving his all to work right now. If I think about it, or let myself dwell on it, I get sick.

I don't know how or when this happened... I think residency though. Or ms4 when he had all those away rotations and just disengaged and never reengaged.
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Dh has reengaged after training. Hang in there. DH doesn't know their teacher's names, but he does talk to the kids each morning and evening about what they did in school that day. I'm sorry for you and K though that's training hit during these years.
                    -Ladybug

Comment

Dh knows the names of most of the kids teachers but now that our three oldest have 7 different teachers each day it's hard for even me to keep up with the names.
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

DH knows the names of the gym child care workers. Neither of us know the church nursery workers' names. We're bad... But in our defense, it's a big church, there are lots of workers, and to keep DS from melting down, we have to check him in and get out of sight ASAP, so there's not really any time to talk.
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I quizzed DH and he passed! I was actually surprised because there's a couple extras in there like the gifted teacher, the speech therapist, and the PE coach and he knew them all. I even tried to stump him with quizzing him on the principal and yep he got it! Clearly he knew this was an IMSN thing so when it was all over he told me to make sure I report back so the bus doesn't make a stop here.
                          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Lol!
                            -Ladybug

Comment

That's awesome.

Comment

Definitely not. He even does drop off half of the week too.

Comment

Working...
                                X