Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lice

I know it's been covered before, but I couldn't find the threads via search in tapatalk.

A friend says she sprays a TeaTreeOil detangler to prevent lice.

Does that work? I have a TTO/lavender oil blend I can add to a conditioner/water spray mix.

There are 4 confirmed cases between the two VPK rooms at the daycare. And I suspect it will be in the other rooms soon bc of siblings.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Ugh. I have no advice, but hope you don't get hit with them. If anyone wants to make a bajillion dollars, they need to figure out how to eradicate these.
    Kris

Comment

I have heard tea tree oil helps. I have no experience with it. Fairy Tales makes a shampoo and and conditioner that prevents lice. It contains a mint oil. It is pricey, but less expensive than the money you will spend on getting rid of lice.
      Needs

Comment

dont wash their hair if you can help it. from i understand lice likes clean hair. some parents would put baby oil in the hair to prevent it.
        Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
        "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Spray down their hair with tea tree oil or fairy tales spray. The fairy tales smells less stringent if you can find it. Check their hair each night under a *bright* light. I use a comb to make 1/2 inch cuts through their hair and check the scalp. Nits need to be within 1/4 inch of the scalp to be viable. They need the heat to incubate, so check close to the scalp, especially the base of the neck and behind the ears. If it happens it's really not the end of the world. A pain, yes, but treatable. Good luck.
          Last edited by Ladybug; 03-22-2012, 07:50 PM.
          -Ladybug

Comment

I'm the unofficial lice expert of my town.

Lice has been rampant in DD1's school since November. I found it on her head on Christmas Day, and on my head the day after. Talk about a meltdown! I was so grossed out. Of course, my husband was working a double and couldn't help me comb out my head. I paid serious money for a business called Lice Aunties to comb treat and comb out the both of us. I was worth the money for the education they gave me.

First of all, the nits looked nothing like expected. They were amber or grey (not white) and much smaller than I expected. I can only really be sure if I do a full comb out using the nit free terminator comb (www.nitfreecomb.com). The comb that comes in the Rid box is not worth using. I wet her whole head and smear it with a cheap, white hair conditioner. I comb through section by section, wiping after each time on a piece of toilet paper. Any bugs or nits will show up, contrasting with the white of the conditioner.

Either of the two aforementioned sprays are okay, but the best thing for it is frequent nit-combing. Go to the headlice.org website, it's very educational.

Comment

So far we have evaded the lice! D even requested a haircut so he's sporting a more traditional boys hair cut and not his long curls. . I figured I'd buzz the boys if it came down to it. I was more worried about me. The school used a TTO spray on all the kids (with parental consent) and they cleaned the rooms with TTO. Place kinda stunk for a while. . But it seemed to be contained to those few cases....we will see.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Ugh...there is lice in DDs classroom. The current host was also at her party. So far, my kids have no sign of it, but I'm making myself a crazy woman. To too it off, DDs teacher sent home a note telling parents to only send girls to school in braids, so I'm thinking maybe more girls have it. ITCH!
                -Deb
                Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

A was told she had to wear her hair up when their school had the outbreak too, I think its just easier for girls to share it b/c their hair is longer.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                  X