Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do your kids curse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do your kids curse?

Two of my friends let their elementary kids curse around their homes. One says she doesn't care if her son says "small" curse words like damn it at home. He's around 8. Apparently he said it in Little League and the umpire said something to him. Another friend's kid said shit at the Y and got in trouble. She didn't understand why he got in trouble. He's five. I find this fascinating because my 5 year old would not dare curse and I never even to this day curse in front of my parents, and I have the mouth of a sailor. Is it normal now?

Um, no. No freaking way.
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Not yet

But no, cursing will not be tolerated, by N when she is old enough to start. I have noticed how things have changed with my parents, though...now that all their kids are teens they are just way more lax (i.e. worn out!). Bitch, shit, and a few others have slipped into my siblings (and sadly my) vocabulary. My teenage brother drops F bombs all the time and gets yelled at by the rest of us, but it doesn't stop him. Probably because he learned it from my father I told them both they better clean up their mouths in front of my children.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Is it wrong that I find this funny? LOL
        Um, no. No freaking way.
        My kids don't around me or adults. They are teens though so I don't think they've never let a bad word pass their lips anywhere. I've just never heard it from them. My daughter says she has one friend that has a mouth like a sailor. She thinks it's funny but I'm assuming that because she marvels at it in private, she doesn't do it herself.

Personally, I try not to curse if I can find a way around it and I'm not in pain. In pain, all bets are off.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post

But no, cursing will not be tolerated, by N when she is old enough to start.
          Just FYI You have about 1 year at the max to get them to cut it out around her. SIGH.
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

My son does and I allow it, but not in front of other adults. He's 14.

My daughter does not. I'll let her with appropriate place restrictions when she's older.

I have a total potty mouth.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

No way! I still don't curse in front of my parents and expect the same respect from my kids.
              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

My dh has a potty mouth. Germans swear and the words don't carry as much weight as they do here. He's curbed what he says at work, but at home he has a harder time.

Dd said "there's a goddam hair in my mouth" the other day. Thankfully in German, but good grief!!!!
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Nope, here either. DH still has to remind me sometimes to watch what I say, I don't say the s word, f word, or things like that but I still say damn sometimes and have to catch myself. Luckily neither of my kids have repeated it, yet!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

DS (age 5.5) curses in gibberish, when something goes wrong or he's angry he yells nonsense syllables in colorful ways. Unfortunately his gibberish sometimes sounds alarmingly close to a true swear word, so I am teaching both kids to say "Fooey" as a "frustrated word". They listen to hardcore rap thanks to their daddy, and I slip up and say "Dammit" or "Shit" occasionally, so they are certainly exposed. But I don't really hold with keeping them in a bubble, I'd rather teach them now what is and isn't appropriate. They know that there are a handful of *very* rude words that offend people to hear them, that some rude words are stronger than others, and that it's even worse when those words come from kids rather than adults, so they need to practice to use polite language. They don't get in big trouble for cursing, I'd rather they explored colorful language in front of me and felt comfortable getting feedback for it than have them do that experimentation in kindergarten or something.
                    Alison

Comment

Ha, case in point, DS is getting silly and just called something that DD did, "Poopy." She immediately corrected him, "Poopy is a rude word! Choose a different word."
                      Alison

Comment

I have a vocabulary that would make a longshoreman blush. Our kids don't curse, nor would they be allowed to do so. They are taught that there is a difference between words kids can use and the ones available to adults. When they live on their own, they can do whatever the hell they want

Comment

I have the same rules as DD. My kids know as an adult mommy is allowed to say grown up words. They are very good at understanding that. DS(5) has said one curse word in his life and that was at 2. DS (3) has said a few curse words in front of me and I've given him the death stare and explained they are grown up words he cannot say and he has never said them again.
                          And to think of it I have a few more friends who kids do heavy duty swearing at home and they are all in elem. school.But all of these parents parent very different from me. Their kids have all yelled at, punched, and repeatedly screamed I hate you at their mothers in public with no real repercussions. I think they are just waaaay more lax on the parenting scale. These are all boys BTW.
                          Last edited by Chrisada; 06-26-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

FWIW, I would not tolerate being disrespectful to me or anyone. I allow my son to swear in front of me because I want him to feel supported by me and to know that he can say anything in front of me. He's been in therapy, and I think this has been helpful to him. He knows I have his back. However, he also knows that dh and I are the only adults he can swear in front of.

Furthermore, they are just words. So, who gives a shit?
                            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I agree with Heidi. I'm surprised by which words you don't allow at home. I'm not talking about shit and fuck, but using the word "poopy" as an adjective would be ok in my house. Name-calling is not ok.

My brother and I were allowed to swear, and we always have in front of my parents. Why not say whatever you want at home....?
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X