Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

preschool question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preschool question

We have a few vacation days that we need to use up before the end of the year, and we're thinking about going to Hawaii. The dates we are thinking of would mean that dd would miss 2 days of preschool. She's only going on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week anyway. Is this generally frowned upon even during preschool? I'm clueless.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Not really in our world, they don't care. I have to pay either way, although some schools offer "vacation days" that are freebies.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

No one would have batted an eye at our preschool either- you will still need to pay for the days, regardless.

J.

Comment

Man, if you can't play hooky in preschool, when can you? I will admit that DS has missed some fun stuff over the years because we take off on a whim all the time. He gets a little bummed when they start building up to, say, the Valentine's party and he knows he missed it; even if we manage to keep him from realizing at the time, he looks at the year-end photos (eg. last year's Thanksgiving) and wonders why he isn't in them. :\ Also we're a parent cooperative so I have also stepped on toes by begging favors at the last second for someone to take my working shift. Otherwise...yeah, it's *preschool*. It's about the experience...and Hawaii is a far superior experience for a little one IMO.
        Alison

Comment

Ugh. It's just so freaking cut throat in this part of the city, and I'm getting all caught up in the ridiculousness of it.
          There's a specific school I want dd to go to for pre-k (PRE-f*cking-K), and the applications are due around then. There's one letter of recommendation type form for the preschool to fill out, and one question on it has my panties all up in a twist "are the parents supportive of the preschool and its curriculum?" And the preschool teacher would be submitting this right around the week that we come back all tanned and dd saying "I was in Hawaii, and I took an airplane, and and and."

Comment

I think I lost a few more brain cells just typing that!

Comment

It's preschool, not the Ivy League. Which means more? Family time or listing perfect attendance for preschool on her college application?
              Veronica
              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I'm sorry but if a teacher got on your case for giving a child an experience, even if that is a Hawaii vacation, rather then being at preschool the teacher needs to get a life! Go on the vacation! Of course this is also reason #1 that some of my medical friends homeschool but I could never do it.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with SS. If the preschool teacher would give you a bad review on "supportive of the preschool" just because you took two preschool days to have some family time and a change of scenery? Maybe this isn't the preschool you want to be with...

We have a vacation planned for DS's first week of kindergarten. DH scheduled it before I put the kindy schedule in our calendar (and he scheduled it based on an event he really really wants to attend). Now we have to figure out how to handle this...and our standard week a month of vacation time, and the fact that if DH works the 1-11 shift before or after a school day he is going to miss seeing DS at all...homeschool is sounding more and more attractive.
                  Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                    We have a vacation planned for DS's first week of kindergarten. DH scheduled it before I put the kindy schedule in our calendar (and he scheduled it based on an event he really really wants to attend). Now we have to figure out how to handle this...and our standard week a month of vacation time, and the fact that if DH works the 1-11 shift before or after a school day he is going to miss seeing DS at all...homeschool is sounding more and more attractive.
                    It's one of the things that keeps us homeschooling.
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                      Ugh. It's just so freaking cut throat in this part of the city, and I'm getting all caught up in the ridiculousness of it.
                      There's a specific school I want dd to go to for pre-k (PRE-f*cking-K), and the applications are due around then. There's one letter of recommendation type form for the preschool to fill out, and one question on it has my panties all up in a twist "are the parents supportive of the preschool and its curriculum?" And the preschool teacher would be submitting this right around the week that we come back all tanned and dd saying "I was in Hawaii, and I took an airplane, and and and."
                      Yes, Pre-K is ridiculous in your city. I looked into putting DS2 in this year [I only send my kids to pre-k] and the cost is half of our rent. Not going to work on a fellow's salary. Our friends who are doing fellowship in SF are also not sending their daughter to pre-k because of the cost. She sent me her nanny's curriculum and that's what I'll be doing with DS2. I'll look into a gym class or something for some socialization.

Comment

D, you'll have some parent-child cooperative programs available to you. I think co-op is kick-ass but I'm biased (and frugal, yay $100/month pre-k tuition!)
                        Alison

Comment

Normally I'd day - dude - It's preschool!

but if your area is super cutthroat, maybe you could have a conversation with the teacher before hand and let her know that while you value the circ., you also want your daughter to take part in a family vacation. And ask if there is any supplemental work you can take with you for her to do on the plane. And then laugh your ass off on the way out! Then you'd look like an interested parent *and* get to take your vacation.

Or could grandma watch DD for a week while you and DH get some alone time?
                          Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Go! Take your DD with you! Bring the teacher back something really cool from HI.
                            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I'm pretty sure we'll just take the trip early next year during dd's mid-winter break. I am not the type to ask for permission to leave for a week, even before school has started. I know how I felt about the guy dh worked with during fellowship who claimed vacation days even before the two had even met. I am over the top when it comes to making good on a commitment we've made. I know dd will only be 3, and she isn't old enough to understand abstract concepts, but I want to set a good example for her that school is important and we don't skip out on unless absolutely necessary. Even at age 3. Going on a family vacation is a great thing, but we honestly do get to spend a lot of time together, and we'll find a different date that doesn't conflict with school.

And where we live is indeed Crazytown when it comes to school...

Comment

Working...
                              X