Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Piano help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piano help

My mom wants DD to try piano lessons when she is old enough. I'm haven't been opposed to the idea I was just going to wait to see if it was something DD would like to do when she was older. I have a few questions about this. #1 How old can they start with lessons? #2 What would be the best way to expose or facilitate this at the pre school age?

Like I said, I'm open to the idea. What has me thinking more about this is the fact that DD seems to consistently enjoy her little baby piano toys. She has this little Disney book/piano combo that she plays with several times a day. She tries so hard to make songs on it. She also has a little 7 key piano that she seems to like. Should I just get a small keyboard for now?
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

A friend of mine had her daughter in piano lessons at 4, but although she's a pretty musical little kid and the teacher felt she could handle the material, in the end she was just too young to buckle down and follow instruction and it was more stress than fun. I'm aiming for 6 or 7-ish before we do lessons with DS. In the meantime, I've heard amazing things about Music Together classes for little ones -- do you have that option in your area?
    Alison

Comment

When my mom taught piano lessons, she wouldn't take kids before they knew how to read. It makes it much easier to learn to read music.

For lessons, I really think a real piano is best, but I know that's tough to pull off. Just make sure any keyboard you get has full-size keys.
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We're starting Music Together in September (DD is 9mo), and plan to start Suzuki between 3 and 5. Music Together goes from NB-4 in a mixed-age class. DD will sit and watch DH play guitar for a long (in baby-terms) time, and loves playing her xylophone/piano thing.

A friend who is a music teacher said that 3 is the absolute youngest they can start any type of formal lesson, but until then, it's all about exposure!
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

What is this Music Together? I'm sure there are a few teachers around here. It seems like that would be easy to find. I can get a keyboard with regular size keys! I think I even have space to set it up a little area for that in our 3rd room.
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

We are doing Kindermusik which teaches them about keeping a beat, etc. They "graduate" out of it at 7 and are then considered to be ready for piano lessons. I asked a friend of mine who teaches when she would start and she said a minimum of 5 when they can read music so that is kind of what we're headed towards. Both of my kids are very interested in the piano DH's parents have.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My piano teacher wouldn't take kids before they knew how to read, and I think it served me well to wait.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

One of the kids I nannied for started at 4. The piano teacher used the "music for little Mozarts" curriculum. It was very hold friendly and taught the basics...which I don't really remember bc I know nothing about playing piano. Haha

Comment

I used to teach and like some of the ladies have said, it was much easier when they were reading age or at least in kindergarten but each child is different so you can try and play it (sorry for the pun) by ear.

Comment

They are limited by attention span and reading ability. Lucy started before she could read (K) but it was kinda a wasted and frustrating year IMO. She really took off in 1st grade when reading started clicking. I'm not starting Isabel until 1st grade (this year).
                    -Ladybug

Comment

We go to a Gymboree music class. It's ages 6 mo-2 years (they combined a music 1 and 2 class). DD is by far the youngest kid (by at least 6 months) bc I guess a lot of people don't bring them until they're at least crawling but usually walking. I don't care, it's a fun class and it's the only Saturday class I can attend so I'm going to do it! They do drums, maracas, various noise makers, etc. all to teach them rhythm and tone.
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X