Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vetting Elementary Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the flip side, haven't you said that the time may be ripe for B to switch jobs within 3 years or so? So I think you've gotta trust your kids to be flexible, and I also don't see "could stay at this school through high school" as a big perk per se.
    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
      On the flip side, haven't you said that the time may be ripe for B to switch jobs within 3 years or so? So I think you've gotta trust your kids to be flexible, and I also don't see "could stay at this school through high school" as a big perk per se.
      I don't think he'll switch jobs - I think there is ONE offer he'd jump on in a heartbeat and I don't see that happening any time soon (if ever) because they have 2 that do what he does and one is actually a year younger then him. When he turned down his fellowship location last week without even really thinking about it I realized how happy he is here and has no plans of moving anytime soon. (But he is on a 3 year contract).

I appreciate all of the comments gang - time to print off the applications, start the process and bend some more ears locally.

Thanks!
      Last edited by SuzySunshine; 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My dd4 will switch schools like that too-- new school for preK at age 3, then another preK age 4, then a new kindergarten, and a new school for 1st grade. Super easy at that age and very typical. I say don't worry about years down the line and do what's best now. If this other school works best for you, great!!
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I have spent so much time researching schools in various cities. (Seriously, I have probably looked at over 25 schools in 9 different cities in the past five years). This is THE most important piece for me in considering any job for DH. I don't even go with the real estate agent until I have assessed what type of neighborhood would work for the school. You really can't dig enough. One thing I learned by f***ing it up in the past is to look beyond the immediate future. The first school I found here in Cinci was great in the lower elementary. I didn't even look at the upper grades. They were NOT a fit for our family and therefore necessitated...another move. If you go to look at this school, take the time and look at the entire trajectory. Sure, you can't know all your kids' needs right now, but there won't be as many surprises.

Honestly, at A & R's ages, I wouldn't be concerned with moving them at all. Kids are resilient AND change develops critical life skills of flexibility and adaptability. On a practical level, friendships are still very fluid at their ages.

At the same time, you should always be willing to reasses your school choice and even be willing to put different children in different schools. Good luck in your search!!
          Once again, Pollyanna offers sage advice. I have finally realized that what works for one of my kids doesn't necessarily work for the others. I *hate* this for me personally because one schedule/drop off/set of rules is a lovely, lovely thing. Truly, there is something to be said for a situation that makes family life more fluid. Still, I'm almost certain I will send DD to an all girls' school starting in middle school if we stay here. It isn't that she wouldn't do alright here, she would. I just feel like she could soar if she was in the right environment.

Anyhoo, good luck. The school choice is such a difficult decision.
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
          X