Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How to occupy kids in the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to occupy kids in the car

We don't have a DVD player, and most car trips are around 20 min. But there are a lot of car trips. I have to take kids to school, to swim, and just basic errands. Dd4 spends about 90 min a day in the car (but only for stretches of 20-30 min a time). We have DVD players that we pull out for long trips-- they mount to the headrests. Is there any other option? Dd4's hand motor isn't quite there for a DS yet-- is a leapfrog good? We never did leapfrog.

We used to listen to music, but it became super distracting for ds8 who needs to do his required school reading in the car as we drive around. DVD would be distracting too. But maybe in the morning--- I thought school house rock would be good for him (conjunction junction, what's your function!!)...

What do you do to occupy the young kids? Just looking for any and all ideas.

FEEL FREE TO HIJACK!!! Please!!!
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Can you do an iPad with headphones? Dd gets carsick so she can't play with toys and read in the car. She is able to watch the DVD player in the car because it's mounted up higher so that she sees the road and her surroundings. Haha--first world problem that my dd and I have!!!
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

K loves his Leap Frog tablet. He also has a Leapster that got a lot of use for a few years.
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I really suck because I don't do much for DD (who will be 4 in January). There are usually a few toys floating around the car and a book or two (along with a metric ton of crumbs, but let's ignore that bit, please). The drive to daycare is rough 20 minutes each way and we talk or she plays quietly in her seat. The only time I bring things to do is the drive to see dad which is 3.5-4 hours each way. And even then, I am doing less and less as she gets older.

I know you are spending significantly more time in the car, but I would push things like a rotating stock of books for her if possible.
        Kris

Comment

What about a tag reader? My youngest loves it and it's not all that annoying to listen to. We do a lot of stuffed animal "friends" in the car.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

My kids both have a tiny magnadoodle and think that they are the best toy ever. A has gone through phases where she wants to play with the ipad, but always comes back to that little magnadoodle. Sometimes we'll also bring color magic(?) markers and coloring books. no messes that way, except the markets scattered all over my van. haha

Oh, we also listen to the Disney Story and Songs over.andover.and over. and over again.
            -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Working...
            X