Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Activities and sticking with them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activities and sticking with them

So- I signed Nikolai up for the San Antonio Children's Chorus last summer. They held 'auditions' but I'm pretty sure every 7-8 year old made it in. He HATES it. Today is their concert so I'll at least get that much out of him. The question is- should I force the issue for the Spring semester or throw in the towel. It was entirely my idea but I still think he'd benefit from it. I don't think it's a coincidence that his piano playing has also improved dramatically this year as well. (or maybe it is and I'm full of sh*t- I never got as far in my piano lessons over six years as he has in his 3.5)

The kicker is that the location is awful- we have to drive to the suburbs and be at chorus practice at 5pm. Who does that? The only way to get there is on the never ending construction highway, as well. It means that I have to leave work an hour early once a week and drive 30-40 minutes for an hour long practice and then 30-40 minutes back downtown.

Opinions? I know this group has many!!

J.

I say "ixnae on the horuscae" and keep up w/the piano.

Comment

I agree. If he haaaaaates it, drop that shit like it's hot. It's a battle that doesn't need to be fought.

FWIW, some exceptionally musical kids detest choruses. DD1's head would explode in a choir, but she loves music and plays a bazillion different instruments.

Comment

Yeah, it sounds to me like you want to drop it as badly as he does, but you somehow think you're a failure if you don't force him to go. I hereby absolve you. Giving up on something that wasn't his idea and that he hates is NOT a bad idea. You can find something that'll give him more benefit and is closer to home instead.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Oh Sandy... I think all of us parents need your "absolving powers." LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Momo View Post
            Oh Sandy... I think all of us parents need your "absolving powers." LOL
            Yes!!!
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

yes indeed. There is enough guilt, don't add any for an activity neither of you enjoy.
              Kris

Comment

I love you guys.

Comment

This is the golden age. Is there any other anything he likes? I totally think piano is awesome and I gather that he likes it--- if you want something else musical is he interested in any other instrument? There's this little girl who does trumpet lessons when my ds is in clarinet. She's adorable-- and she's 9 and been playing for 3 years!! Wowza! She goes to trumpet lessons in her pjs bc she ends at 8 pm lol, then straight to bed!!

Anyway, at that age I really tried to expose them to as many sports and activities as was feasible, and I dropped stuff they didn't like right away. Like soccer. They didn't love it, and neither did I! Some boys do trampoline work (vs regular gymnastics) which can be fun and is a little different. Ice skating, hockey, even science classes... Theres just tons to Try out.

Have fun with all there is out there-- this isn't giving up-- he did the concert so yah!
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                    Yeah, it sounds to me like you want to drop it as badly as he does, but you somehow think you're a failure if you don't force him to go. I hereby absolve you. Giving up on something that wasn't his idea and that he hates is NOT a bad idea. You can find something that'll give him more benefit and is closer to home instead.
                    ^^This!!!

Comment

If you don't want him to feel like he is quiting you could ask him the following, "so if you want to be in the choir next semester I have to sign you up. Should I sign you up again or would you like to try something different?" The only downside with this approach would be if he surprises you and says he'd like to sign up again, lol.
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Oh, that won't be a problem- he's made it very clear that he's got no plans to go ever again. They're starting a junior Lego Robotics club and he's got piano and Cub Scouts (I'm the worlds worst den leader, by the way) and I think that's enough. There's a pick-up soccer game every Sunday and one of the dads is negotiating starting a league near downtown. Right now we have to head to the inner burbs for sports. (at least it's not to the outer 'burbs like the chorus)

OK- I feel absolved.

J.

Comment

The FLL (Lego robotics) stuff can also occupy a shit ton of time. He'll probably end up driving you crazy wanting to research online for his next meeting. DD2 still researches crap and her new school doesn't even have a damn FLL team.

Comment

Working...
                          X