Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Educational Apps for upper elementary kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educational Apps for upper elementary kids

I'm implementing an "earn entertainment screen time" deal in my house. My kids would play minecraft until their heads exploded. I want them to earn it....do some math, vocabulary, problem solving apps in order to be able to play minecraft. They will need to earn minecraft through improvement on these apps. I'm thinking ahead to summer. It rains a lot in June here and I just want to nip the conversation in the bud. The "can I play...." will be replaced with "I've earned 30 minutes, can I show you my improvement?"

I need app suggestions please. We have:
    stack the states
    stack the countries
    rocket math
    math bingo
    neutons gravity
    where's the water
    Brain pop

Thanks in advance.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

I need to do something for the 4 year old. She will play temple run until the batteries are dead and it drives me crazy. The 10 year old understands and accepts (grudgingly) limits, but she does not.
    Kris

Comment

A lot of games teach spatial reasoning and problem solving skills. I'm actually cool letting our kids play games when the games teach them usable skills.

DS' language disorder means that reading isn't easy for him, so MANY of his games include reading as part of the game play. His reading has improved considerably since we allowed this.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
        A lot of games teach spatial reasoning and problem solving skills. I'm actually cool letting our kids play games when the games teach them usable skills.

DS' language disorder means that reading isn't easy for him, so MANY of his games include reading as part of the game play. His reading has improved considerably since we allowed this.
        Yes this! Honestly I think Minecraft is really good teaching those skills. My older kids have really been enjoying Magic The Gathering card game (think Pokemon for older kids).

ETA: It's been around a while, here is a good intro for parents if anyone is interested : http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin.../rules/parents
        Last edited by Pollyanna; 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

My issue is that she wants to play to the exclusion of all else... It drives me crazy. I really need to sit down and think about our daily schedules and what types of limits will work for our lives. In general, I would prefer that she not play much during the week while at home.
          Kris

Comment

That is one thing I love about my kids' kindle fires - their parent control software is FABULOUS. I don't have any suggestions on games because my kids are younger but I control what they play and how much they play each day! Right now its not tied to anything but I can see it getting there as they get older.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My DD was getting in the habit of watching Cars movie on my iPod non.stop. I cut her off cold turkey, and after two days of complaining she totally accepts when I say no now. And best of all she and DS are spending their days on these crazy elaborate imaginative games. "Let's play Ladybug Queen and Lion King!" "Let's play people who spent all their money on college and a house and a car, so they didn't have any money for food, and they had to kill animals and grow a garden for food!" LOL. (I have no idea where they got that last one!)
              Alison

Comment

Earn screen time....

For summer I usually have some academic work they need to do--- and once it's done they can do their screen time. Minecraft is driving me insane with ds11 now bc he will take the iPod playing minecraft with him wherever he goes then hop on the computer when he gets a chance and do minecraft there. He even listens to his minecraft game while practicing clarinet?! Of course I go Crazy when I see that and take away the iPod. But really!!!

I need a plan too.

I find x min for x min of screen time is hard bc they NEVER are done with a battle when the time is up, or at a save point. It drives me nuts and leads to crying and stress for my kids. (Especially for Pokemon).

I battle getting them outside during the summer too.

Anyway we have a ton of camps set up this year so that will add a lot of structure to the free time. Beyond that I require 30 min of reading a day (can be an educational magazine or even the pokedex) and at least some math review. We do use some workbooks, computer programs, etc. I anticipate this being a huge issue this summer with ds8s hatred of workbooks...

In other words I'm in there with you, looking for advice!!!
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                  Yes this! Honestly I think Minecraft is really good teaching those skills. My older kids have really been enjoying Magic The Gathering card game (think Pokemon for older kids).

ETA: It's been around a while, here is a good intro for parents if anyone is interested : http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin.../rules/parents
                  Thank you! I will check this out!

To be clear I just want a system in place where they earn "fun" games that may or may not be somewhat educational. I don't want every day to be negotiating the amount of time. With minecraft there is no stop and start like a battle with other games so it can go on and on. We have kindle's too and I love the control. We are having a lot of luck with reading and audio books on kindle. I guess I'm just a dork and want to make it even MORE educational on a rainy day with some math or problem solving skills. I feel like we are in a rut with the apps we DO have and want some more choices for my kids during the educational time.

Please keep the suggestions coming!
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Working...
                  X