Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

After school programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After school programs

Do you have experience with them?

I got a letter that ds8 has been "nominated" for a spot in our after school program. They do academic support (homework help), play games, and work on social stuff. It's a completely free program, only offered to a select number of kids. It's mandatory though-- if we sign up he has to go each day. I would imagine we could "drop out" after a time if we wanted...

For me, I'm not sure. Ds8 hates school now. But maybe he'd like this program, and maybe it would help him with his social issues.

On the other hand, I don't know if I'm ready to give up the after school hours. We'd have to go to the "extracurriculars" at night...

I really don't know much about this dirt of thing. All the schools we've been in before had after school programs that you paid a lot of $$ for. I had no idea this is not that kind of program.

We will go to the info meeting I guess... I admit in a little conflicted on this one...
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Can you meet with someone and share ur concerns? Can he then try it for a week and see what he thinks?
    -Ladybug

Comment

How long is it after school? Does he know/like the people who lead and/or other children who participate? It sounds like it could be great. I'd also want a trial period though.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Ditto on the trial period. Also, if its something that just adds more to your plate and creates more stress then I'd skip it. Sounds interesting though. Keep us posted on what you find out.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

The meeting is Monday... Ds is unsure about it. He doesn't really know many people at the school-- hasn't made many friends. This is a very well funded school district and this program is supposedly a big deal. Our old school district had after school programs bhut they were nit free, were poorly staffed, and whenever i was at the school after hours the kids were just running around pretty unsupervised. So I was never interested... But I don't know anything about the program here. The "mandatory attendance" is kind of off putting. But it's tempting to have free tutoring and homework help. Ds definitely needs social help-- he's behind socially. More comfortable with kindergarteners than 3rd graders. It's so strange bc before we moved he was quite social, happy, well liked...

Anyway it starts next year... We will go to the meeting Monday and hopefully learn more. They say "you must sign up by Monday or your spot will be given to someone else." The principal is advocating for Luke-- I like her a lot-- and she nominated him for the program. If I bump into her on Friday when I volunteer I'll ask her about it, but I know she's a fan.

In other news, i finally set ds8 up with a counselor-- intake meeting is next Friday. Hoping next year brings him good things. I believe he's depressed-- he's pretty non communicative right now so it's hard for the Peds psych to dx him with that. But to me... Yeah. He seems depressed.

Anyway... Kids are resilient, right?? Here's hoping.

I continue to be humbled by parenting every day.
          Peggy

Comment

Hugs. Parenting a child with depression is hard. It's so hard to see them struggle so much to care about themselves. I'd at least go to the info meeting before making up your mind.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Hugs, Peggy. You're doing better with this parenting thing than you know.
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Well a follow up--- fwiw-- this program is just extended care for free. Nothing special. I don't need after school care, ds9 would not enjoy it, and it's mandatory. Every day they go to school they must stay until 6 pm to do the after school program. 1 hour homework, 1 hour games, and I guess 30 min wasted time in between. I don't know. I was not impressed by the meeting and decided within 5 min that it was not for me. More importantly, ds9 would hate it.
                Peggy

Comment

Sounds like an awesome option for parents working outside the home to have a safe place for their kiddos. Not a fit for your family, though. I guess it's nice that you didn't really have to make a decision.
                  -Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                  X