Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Where to buy boys' clothes (online)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy boys' clothes (online)?

Well, it's finally happened. The continuous flow of consignment store finds from my mom, and my stash of hand-me-downs, have given out and my son's closet is getting a little pitiful (especially for pants and pajamas). We don't have any good consignment store options, or B&M stores beyond Walmart, so I am going to look online. But I have bought so little new clothing for him! I don't really know where to look.

I like how our Gymboree and Hanna Andersson has stood the test of time (he's still wearing his Christmas 2009 gymmies!), but I am unimpressed by their jammie selection right now. Where else has good-quality clothes that will hold up?
    Alison

Gap holds up well. They often have sales too. O wears old navy, gap and what I make for him so I don't use too many stores.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I don't have a boy but Old Navy is having a 25% off sale now thru 10/30.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I'm also a fan of old navy and gap.
        You earn reward dollars when you order from them, too. Redeemable online and in the store. Also, most times I order there's a coupon code they provide for either free shipping or 20% off. We don't have much selection here...so they're both my go to for kids clothes.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

If you are looking for online consignment options, I've heard good things about thredUp
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Have y'all found Old Navy to hold up for several years of use? I always get the feeling it's a bit flimsy when I find it at the secondhand stores.

I will look at those stores though, thanks! Do I remember that DCJenn gets the Land's End iron-knee pants for her DS?
            Alison

Comment

Have you heard of Moxie Jean? It's an online consignment store, and shipping is $5ish. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but some of the stuff looks really cute. (And they have all the major brands.)

Comment

Children's Place is great for jeans and sweatshirts, I've always thought their t-shirts were a little thin though. They also have free shipping and sales often.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Old Navy works well for our kids. JCPenney frequently has DS' sizes on great sales. I've found tons of polos, sweaters, and Levi's for him that were crazy cheap there.

Comment

For boys, I've found that the resale options thin out around 4yo. The boys are just so hard on their clothes and everything looks like faded rags. Also, I think people buy less clothes for boys to begin with so the clothes get more use. So many cute/pretty things for girls that it's hard not to over-buy so the consignment shops are always stocked with tons of girls' clothes. Not to mention that any Gymboree or department store will have a boys' section that is 25% the size of the girls' section.

With boys, if I love something, I do buy it even if it's not reduced. It won't be there if I wait for it to go on clearance. I have had luck with the clearance racks at Gymboree (love combining clearance with gymbucks or coupons). I like The Gap for pjs. Also, Target usually has a nice selection and some of their cute boys clothes sometimes even make it to the clearance racks. I don't remember your son's age but if he's still in smaller sizes, the Granimals brand at Walmart wears pretty well too and it's good for basics like t-shirts and shorts.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Old navy holds up pretty well. I think ages 4-6 are when boys are roughest on clothing. With old navy I have to go up a size and O is an average 50%tile sized kid.
                      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                        With boys, if I love something, I do buy it even if it's not reduced. It won't be there if I wait for it to go on clearance. I have had luck with the clearance racks at Gymboree (love combining clearance with gymbucks or coupons). I like The Gap for pjs. Also, Target usually has a nice selection and some of their cute boys clothes sometimes even make it to the clearance racks. I don't remember your son's age but if he's still in smaller sizes, the Granimals brand at Walmart wears pretty well too and it's good for basics like t-shirts and shorts.
                        Sweet, thanks. He turned 7 this week, pretty average sized kid so I don't know if the Garanimals goes up to his size. I'll check next time I go up to town. He doesn't like jeans -- we've been battling this year, he only ever wants to wear sweatpants to school -- and he really would prefer fleece jammies (hence why the Gymboree size 3-4 ones are still in his nightly rotation!) He says, "I like wearing the clothes I picked out myself, because that way you don't spend money on something I really don't like!" So we'll be going through the options together tonight.

DD is on a jeans kick though, it's all she'll wear, so if I could get a few pair of straight-leg jeans for her in the same transaction it'd be awesome...looks like Children's Place doesn't carry straight-leg, just skinny and bootcut. I gave DD the option (she is so fashion-conscious lately) and she strongly prefers the straight...

I didn't know about online consignment stores! I'll check out the ones mentioned.

Remind me, are Children's Place and Janie & Jack related? Or how does that all go?
                        Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                          Remind me, are Children's Place and Janie & Jack related? Or how does that all go?
                          I don't know. Janie & Jack has always been out of our price range though! Their clothes are adorable, just too pricey usually!

I do think Target can be hit or miss. I was in there this weekend and some of their Carter's clothes were CRAP. Definitely not of the quality sold directly by Carters. But I've gotten other things from Target that are GREAT, notably shoes and several outfits from other brands that are nice. I've even gotten some nice Carter's stuff there, it just seemed like some of it was of lower quality which is hard to tell from online.

I know for younger kids, Costco actually sells some Carter's stuff/other brands that is good quality. Not sure on older kids stuff but maybe someone else can weigh in? Do you have a Costco in your area?

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                            I don't know. Janie & Jack has always been out of our price range though! Their clothes are adorable, just too pricey usually!

I do think Target can be hit or miss. I was in there this weekend and some of their Carter's clothes were CRAP. Definitely not of the quality sold directly by Carters. But I've gotten other things from Target that are GREAT, notably shoes and several outfits from other brands that are nice. I've even gotten some nice Carter's stuff there, it just seemed like some of it was of lower quality which is hard to tell from online.

I know for younger kids, Costco actually sells some Carter's stuff/other brands that is good quality. Not sure on older kids stuff but maybe someone else can weigh in? Do you have a Costco in your area?
                            Yeah, I stay away from Carters at Target. (Carters in general runs small and it's so ubiquitous so I usually don't bother.) At Target, I go with their store brand (Circo) and Osh Kosh.

FWIW, MILK has been buying the boys clothes at Janie & Jack lately. Yes, they are beautiful but most are impractical. The boys just can't get much use out of linen pants and the clothes have embellishments that don't wash well. I'd take Gymboree or Target over J&J any day.
                            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post

I just had stuck in my head that Children's Place is to J&J as Old Navy is to Gap. Or something? I dunno. No to J&J, check! (I think DD had a cute secondhand dress from there once?)

We have Costco about an hour away, but we aren't members. Target is also over an hour.

Back when I used to shop for myself I had decent luck with Land's End, and apparently they are coming up on Zulily tomorrow (I've never bought anything from Zulily and it's kind of overwhelming but at least if I can narrow it to a brand...). I will probably check that out.
                              Alison

Comment

Working...
                              X