Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mac/Apple ID ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac/Apple ID ?

For those of you with kids with their own computers, did you get them their own Apple ID? I'm setting up the kids computer that we are giving them for Christmas and trying to decide what will be easier. I'd like them to have access to some of my music but not my other iCloud stuff so I'm thinking they need their own ID, no?

I would of course be the only one with the password so that they couldn't buy random things.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Yes. In my opinion they all need their own ID. I give them an iTunes account and they have to use that-- there is no credit card back up. I have only set up Apple IDs with my dd17 (for her iPod, iPhone, computer itunes) and my ds12 (for the hand me down iPhone turned iPod). You could not pay me to share an Apple ID with any of them--- I don't want their apps clogging up my account lol.

Dd12 has her own amazon account for her kindle-- dd17 does too bc she uses the kindle app on her iPod.

It's no big deal-- just makes organizing our stuff easier.

That being said, if your kids share a lot of apps you may just want 1 Apple ID for now-- that way you can avoid buying double of any app.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I agree with Peggy
      Needs

Comment

We share an Apple ID with everyone, lol. It works out really well for us.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We share one, for now. My kids have the same few apps they all love, and I feel like I have more control over everything that way. when they're older, and I'm doing more checking in, rather than managing multiple devices, I'll start splitting kids off.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We share one. You can turn off individual groups for cloud sharing. One Apple ID is definitely best. You can lo-jack them. You can download the same paid content for free. No way I'd get separate ID's.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We have a shared account and separate accounts. It's complex but you can set up different Apple IDs for different stuff on a device. My daughter has a separate Apple ID so she can cloud sync her own playlists and not mine. She still has access to download anything I already own, though

There are guides online.

The tricky part of a shared ID doesn't happen until they are a little older. For example, my new iPad started getting my son's text messages via iMessage until I changed the settings so that phone number wasn't linked. All our numbers are on the one ID so I could technically see every text they send. Luckily, I don't feel that's necessary.

For your concerns, I'd mostly want to lock down the password and require it for everything so they don't buy stuff without you knowing.

Angie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
              X