Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Box Tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box Tops

So I'm coordinating box tops at our school - the big collection is in February. If your school does this, or something similar, do you have a contest/prizes?

Our school does and to be honest I have no idea what they've done in the past, if there is a prize budget, etc. so I'm just looking for what works - anyone? The kids are grade K-8. Usually the collection is done by grade...

Thanks!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Pizza party, ice cream party, out of uniform passes, pajama day
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Our school does a pizza party, too.

Comment

We collect, but have never had a prize. But I think that is more reflective of the community atmosphere in the school - they simply don't pit one group against another in a competition.

However, I would look at doing something that would reward for all kids if a goal is met.
        Kris

Comment

I like the idea of a school reward for a met goal! Our school collects them and has talked about doing rewards, but they haven't done any.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

And I would make it something that doesn't cost any money like pajama day or silly hat day.
            Kris

Comment

I ran the Box Top program here for the 4-6th grades. I did a contest that the kids LOVED, collections were high, but it was honestly a lot of work. Here's the basic run down. I put up a cardboard cut out mural of a cartoon-y snowball fight on the wall of the cafeteria. (Copied upper body torsos in snow gear from internet clip art and expanded with a projector, nothing too art heavy). These were almost life sized. Then I printed out the teacher's faces for each grade level and taped those above the bodies and added cardboard hats. I had 4th grade teachers behind a log, 5th grade teachers behind bushes, 6th grade teachers behind a brick wall.

Each week, I'd collect boxtops from each class and count them up. For each 10 boxtops collected, I'd award the classroom a paper snowball. I'd drop these off and the teachers would vote on who they were throwing their snowballs at that week. Then, I'd tape the snowballs up to the cardboard murals. I kept score of snowballs earned and snowballs your teacher was "hit by" but everyone could see that in the cafeteria. The kids would spend so much time comparing the fight, who was hitting who, retaliating. It was ridiculous, but the kids and the teacher really got in to it. After four weeks, I'd bring in hot chocolate to the classroom that was hit the MOST and pizza for the class that earned the most snowballs. After a few years, the kids were trying to develop strategies on how to draw fire if they knew they couldn't get enough boxtops. I really enjoyed it, but like I've said, a lot of work. I did it for four years while my kids were in those grades. We ended up earning close to $2000 bucks a year, too.

Anyhoo, your post just reminded me! Thought I'd pass it on. For rewards, I think we've found that food is the cheapest and best motivator, but some schools are regulating that type of prize now and also if you have allergies, it can become an issue. We've also found that extra recess or no homework passes are great - but that requires teacher approval and sometimes they are not too keen on it.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I think our school did a jeans day for the winning class. That's a big deal in Catholic school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Ours did Clemson v. USC--send in your box tops and say which team they should be counted for. (Life in an SEC town . . .)

Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                  Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                  Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Pajama day (dress down day for school with uniforms) is always a big deal in schools I've been in.
                    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                      I think our school did a jeans day for the winning class. That's a big deal in Catholic school.

Jeans goes for jeans day at my charter school!! I do a happy dance when by some miracle jeans day arrives.

We have had the pizza and Popsicle parties others already mentioned. Another time they did it by months. First months winner got to pie their teacher in the face, second month got to pie a specials teacher in the face, and third month got to pie the principal in the face. We also had something where they used silly string on the teachers as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X