Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What age to buy a suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age to buy a suit?

DS14 has to attend a funeral of a peer on Wednesday. Naturally, the khaki pants and navy blazer from last year's bar mitvah and confirmation season is way too little. While some parents did buy their sons suits for these occasions, I opted not to. He has that lean, rangy boy look that looks like it is about grow at an explosive rate. He normally wears khakis and a polo to church. On one hand, I don't want to tie up a bunch of money in a suit that he will wear once or twice. On the other hand, I don't want him to be chronically underdressed. What age did you buy a suit in hopes that it would last for a few years? When does having a suit become sort of mandatory?

TIA
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

You want the suit to last for 3-4 years and he's 14? Hummm. I don't know about that.

I would suggest buying a sports coat or a new navy. He could wear a dress shirt and church pants with it. If you really wanted to spend as little as possible you could go to a second hand shop. Is he anywhere near dad's size?
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

We have not bought our boys suits and don't anticipate doing so anytime soon. For this occasion, I would go with khakis and a blazer, and I would look at Goodwill (or similar) for the blazer.
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Our oldest son is 17 and we have yet to buy him a suit and truly don't intend to until he really needs one. He has nice pants and button down dress shirts (part of his school uniform). He borrows ties and sport coats from dh. I would send him in khakis, dress shirt, and a tie. If you can score a sport coat for a bargain then go for it otherwise I'd skip it.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We got a suit for our 17 year old this year through one of those "buy one get three free" suit deals at Jos A Bank. DH needed new suits, but not 4! Now, our son has one that will hopefully last for some of college and internships.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

how about buying a cheap suit? something like 2 piece for 150 or a blazer and matching pants-- he can probably wear that for a yr or two.

Comment

DH got his first suit for med school interviews, before that he just wore sport coats.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I guess I already should have.. They had on slacks and a tie, but were the only pall bearers without suits this past weekend. My middle child has given me a hard time about it.. I just didn't want to buy one they would outgrow, but I think they have finished now or close to it. My boys are 19 and 17. ( I had them when I was 5...grin.. I just can't be that old, can I?)

Comment

It would have been around 13 for my brothers. Bar Mitzvah. They would have gotten some blazers then too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

My college aged cousins still get theirs at Goodwill. Honestly, with growing boys, they find great things there that have obviously been worn once or twice. It's also a great lesson in learning to save money and shop on the cheap.
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                      It would have been around 13 for my brothers. Bar Mitzvah. They would have gotten some blazers then too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Granted they would have worn them to their Bar Mitzvah and to those of dozens of their friends.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Our son is 11 and is just at the beginning of his major growth stage. NFW am I buying him a full suit any time soon. He wears slacks and dress shirts when he needs to look nice for anything. Which is pretty damn rare around here.

Comment

Working...
                        X