Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Winter birthdays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter birthdays

For anyone else that has winter birthdays how do you get things at other times of year for your kids?

Like A&R are November and December, they get well spoiled then between birthdays and Christmas but they never get summer stuff.

Like I'd really like to get them each a Razor and a basketball goal but do I really want to set the precedent of them getting BIG gifts for something like Easter? We are giving them an allowance but it's not enough for big things like this...
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I do a half birthday for K1 at K2's birthday and vice versa. Convenient that their birthdays work out that way. I also spoil my kids by working new toys into the rotation just because. I might also start making them earn special toys as rewards for good behavior.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

We also have a long stretch between DS's birthday in March and DD's at the end of November. Then of course there's Christmas in between. I think this year I will try to work in a few new outside toys over the summer when we all start getting bored (plus most of their toys are inside toys due to birthday timing). I probably won't make it be for any special occasion, just a fun surprise.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Mine (Nov and Dec birthdays) have always gotten summer stuff. We just got a Razor, as a matter of fact.

I kind of got in the habit when they were babies and toddlers and could use an infusion of toys before a whole year had gone by (big difference between a 12-month-old and an 18-month-old, for example). I still do it if I can mentally justify it as seasonal or educational or promoting being physically active.

I don't really do it as a gift, just "this is something I thought our family could use."
        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Winter birthdays

All but one birthday in our house is during the wintertime. We just do whatever gifts we'd normally get for them.

Comment

We used to do random surprise gifts at the end of school or some other spontaneous occasion. It didn't lead them to expect a gift or be too spoiled. In the summer, I occasionally did a Target day when we'd buy summer fun things. Kind of like back to school in reverse. Those items were always family owned and shared though.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I do a stock the garage day in spring. I buy new balls, chalk, bubbles, helmets, bikes or scooters for those that need them, and sunscreen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
              X