Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My kid won't sleep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My kid won't sleep!

I'm soooooooooo tired. The boy has been staying up late like he's a high schooler! Very rarely is he going to sleep by 10. Last night he finally fell asleep after midnight. I can't sleep if he's going to be the only one awake in the house. I've already decided he won't have toys in his room in the next house. There will be a play room. I'm thinking we need to take a break from school for a few weeks starting next week.

I know I need to get him out more to burn off energy, but my allergies are so awful I'm living with an almost-constant headache.

Any suggestions? I can't cut back on coffee and be sleep deprived at the same time. In fact, I may need a third cup to get through today. 😵

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Ugh.

Have you tried nasal steriods for the allergies? Hate those headaches. Qnasl (the only aerosol, as opposed to liquid, nasal steroid on the market right now afaik) is my savior when my allergies are bad. Which reminds me; I need to call in a refill.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I'll ask my doc. I just gave the kid an iPad with the Hooked on Phonics app to do for school today.

In my whiniest voice while stomping my feet "I'm tired!"

Veronica

Comment

Indoor trampoline work?
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Not at night. I took him to gymnastics today. Hoping and praying he will sleep tonight!

Veronica

Comment

Have you tried waking him up earlier in the mornings? What time does he usually get up? To fall asleep at a predictable time at night, most people need a constant wake-up time. Does he nap?
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

What is his electronics consumption like at night? Video games before bed? iPad? Maybe cut that out (I think 2 hours prior to bed is the rec, but I'm talking from my less-than-stellar memory!)
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                Have you tried waking him up earlier in the mornings? What time does he usually get up? To fall asleep at a predictable time at night, most people need a constant wake-up time. Does he nap?
                Wake up time makes no difference. I've tried that. No naps. He only naps if he's sick.

Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                  Not at night. I took him to gymnastics today. Hoping and praying he will sleep tonight!

Oh! I didn't mean at bedtime!! I meant it as an indoor exercise option for during the day. We use one on bad weather days just to get some energy out.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

There's a book, Sleepless in America: Misbehaving or Missing Sleep?, that talks about different kids' personalities and sleep habits, and different ways to convince kids to fall asleep at a reasonable hour. It's great for verbal kids, who can really discuss with you the feelings they might be having that keep them from relaxing at night. I'd recommend it. It's by the author of Raising Your Spirited Child and I feel like it's kind of designed to work particularly well for kids with those kinds of "active kid" issues.

I'd also recommend outside time, even if it's 5 minutes. Can you just chuck him out in a fenced yard while you stay in? Allergies suck, I'm so sorry.
                    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                      Oh! I didn't mean at bedtime!! I meant it as an indoor exercise option for during the day. We use one on bad weather days just to get some energy out.
                      He does use one during the day. It staying in our living room.

The backyard needs to be mowed. 😳 DH refuses to pay someone to do it. It'll be easier when we move to my mom's. Her yard is always ready for grand kids. I could take him to my sister's to swim. The girls could take turns being in the pool with him. I've taken him running with me once. He liked it but not enough to do it again. Maybe he'll go with DH.

Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                        What is his electronics consumption like at night? Video games before bed? iPad? Maybe cut that out (I think 2 hours prior to bed is the rec, but I'm talking from my less-than-stellar memory!)
                        This is an ongoing battle. Some days I win and there are no video games. Others I lose and he plays right up until bedtime. Father-son bonding at its finest. 😒

Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                          There's a book, Sleepless in America: Misbehaving or Missing Sleep?, that talks about different kids' personalities and sleep habits, and different ways to convince kids to fall asleep at a reasonable hour. It's great for verbal kids, who can really discuss with you the feelings they might be having that keep them from relaxing at night. I'd recommend it. It's by the author of Raising Your Spirited Child and I feel like it's kind of designed to work particularly well for kids with those kinds of "active kid" issues.

I'd also recommend outside time, even if it's 5 minutes. Can you just chuck him out in a fenced yard while you stay in? Allergies suck, I'm so sorry.
                          I'll try that. He's verbal but his receptive and expressive language are behind.

Veronica

Comment

Does he ride a bike or a scooter? Could he do that while you run? It makes it easier for little legs to keep up.
                            Kris

Comment

No. His gross motor skills aren't there yet. Working on it though.

Veronica

Comment

Working...
                              X