Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

You Tube/Facebook/Snapfish Albums at School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Tube/Facebook/Snapfish Albums at School

So, I know that we discussed this in some other threads. On the one hand, it's sad that OB's feel like they cannot post baby pictures in their offices due to HIPPA and some parents take the fun out of taking pictures at school. On the other hand, with everyone having a camera in their pockets at all times, constant photographing, and immediate mass publication of such pictures on You Tube/Facebook/Instagram, etc., where do we draw the line?

All of my children's schools request signed consents to put pictures of the children on their websites or advertising publications. I specifically decline and do not consent, explaining that my husband works in mental health and I do not want his patients to discover where the children attend school. I also don't buy my kids spirit t-shirts for this reason. When the local JCC asked to photograph Lambie for their 100 years/100 more Facebook campaign, I declined. While most of my husband's patents are harmless, it really only takes one disturbed person to cause a lot of trouble. Unfortunately, people in that state who are dangerous, are often very determined to find information too. I publish pictures of my children on my own FB page but never disclose our address, their names, or say when we will be at any specific location. I also have high privacy settings on my FB page and don't link to my husband. My FB settings also let me know when I've been tagged in a picture and I almost always ask to have tags linking to pictures of my children removed.

Notwithstanding that I do not consent, I often find my children's photographs on the schools' facebook pages, snapfish albums, you tube videos, etc. Isn't this internet publication of the kids' pictures to which I have not consented? Do I make a fuss about it? With all the concerns about school security, you'd think that the schools would be extra cautious about publishing the kids' pictures. The kids are not named so for most people they are anonymous kids. Also, when the school is routinely photographing and filming all kinds of events at the school, it is nearly impossible to keep my kid out of the picture. How does my kid feel when the whole class is photographed with the visiting firefighters and he is excluded? Why does everything have to be published on line?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

I don't know MrsK. I get where you are coming from. Your hubby's specialty puts you at a higher risk of a potential patient seeking out your family. At the same time I have to say that as a parent whose neighborhood school basically prohibits photography in school unless it is just your child for the "safety" of the children. It kind of sucks. Recording those special times at school are meaningful and now because of more "security theater" that is being stopped all together. Where does it end? Putting things online is just how the world works now. I'm not sure how you can manage not to have pics of your kids in school photos unless you get the school to prohibit photography of groups all together. If there is no identification I really wouldn't worry, but I know folks do.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

You Tube/Facebook/Snapfish Albums at School

How are the kids linked back to DrK? If they're just pics, I wouldn't worry (ok, I might worry, but I think it'll be okay). I'm assuming he has no pics where patients would see them, so I don't really know how it would get linked back. It is fairly inevitable that your kids are going to be photographed and posted at some point in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Deebs; 09-01-2014, 02:15 PM.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

See, it's a slippery slope. I don't know if someone is going to tag my husband in a picture of my kids or where the pictures will be published. Most likely, it wouldn't be a problem. But if I have told the school not to put my kids' pictures on the internet and then I don't complain when my kid is in a youtube video, have I forfeited my objection? And it isn't just that the kids are being photographed at school plays and special occasions. They are photographed all the time and then the pictures are on line within minutes. I mean pictures of the kids cleaning the class fish tank or a video of the school music teacher's latest song or the kids digging in the school garden. As a recent cultural development, it baffles me. Does *everything* have to be documented and published? What if someone is simply camera shy? (K2 hates being photographed as do I.) At what point is it a violation of the kids' rights? I know I wouldn't want to have my picture taken all the time at work and circulated on the internet without my knowledge. (FWIW, my boys know exactly which pictures I put on FB and I have removed pictures at their request. That's why there are so few pictures of K2.) On one hand, we are telling our kids not to disseminate pictures of their genitals and not to share everything with strangers. Then on the other hand, we are plastering the universe with our kids' images before they are old enough to object.
        Last edited by MrsK; 09-01-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

If you have not given consent to the school and they post anyway, I'd complain. There is a reason you said no and that should mean no. Our school has a very specific list and I know which of my kids are allowed to be photographed for which reasons and who is not. If there is something I feel might be questionable or feel the parent may want the child to be included in, I ask the parent for permission first. The school should be respecting your decision - they are your children, not the school's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Our schools don't have a specific list. It doesn't seem to occur to them that youtube, snapfish, or Facebook are part of the Internet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

I also have to sign a gazillion different permissions in regards to where their pictures can be posted. Our JJC daycare is pretty good about adhering to parents' wishes. I think I've seen them in the background during large events but nobody was tagged.

I would definitely speak with the director(s) regarding your very valid concerns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would also ask them to take them down. Our school also has a list of kids whose parents don't want their pictures posted, and they seem pretty good about following it. They usually take a group picture for yearbook, then they pull those kids out while they take another picture to be posted online.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                X