Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Best cars for motion sickness?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cars for motion sickness?!

I know... Weird title for my post.

M gets motion sick whenever we get into the car/plane/anything moving. I can give her Dramamine for longer trips, but drugging her to go shopping doesn't really work.

When we had our Acura MDX, she seemed to do better. We'd turn on the DVD player and she'd have a focal point to look at.

We currently have a compact SUV (mazda cx5) which is great for getting around the city and parking, but I pull over every 2-3 minutes for M. Hubby has a Mini, and M can't even look at the car without heaving.

I hate to do this, because we seem to change cars all the time, but we are in need of a different car to accommodate M. We literally cannot go on car rides longer than 10 minutes without her feeling totally sick.

Any thoughts?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Would a sea band bracelet help her?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

DD was super motion sick starting from about age 4, but it seems to be easing up recently. A little bit of minty gum has gotten her through a ride of up to 30 minutes or so even at her worst. We have pre-loaded with Zofran for boat rides and plane trips.

I can't imagine a new car being enough of a benefit to be worth it. Especially if she outgrows the sickness within a few years. Sorry. :\ We don't notice a significant difference between the Camry sedan, the Kia minivan, my parents' Dodge crossover, or our new Honda. We took the Kia to Mt Saint Helens a month ago...homigod those windy roads. It was such a miracle she didn't urk! That's when I knew she was getting better (despite the moans of my head hurts, my tummy hurts, can we stop for fresh air, can I have gum...)
      Alison

Comment

We've tried the bracelets, homeopathic hocus pocus everything....
        We test drove a mini van with dd and she did horribly. Just to see if a car made the difference. It was too bumpy for her. We tried out a friend's large suv and... Ding ding ding. High enough, smooth enough, and she could see out. It's been like this since she was around 2yo, and it just gets worse as she gets older.

Comment

That's rough! Id rent a Tahoe for a week and see if it works for an extended time period and if it does I'd go in that direction.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yeah... It's either a potty accident or ing if I can't pull over fast enough. Like clockwork. And she gives me a 10-15 second warning in the form of silent tears. If I don't happen to be looking in the rear view mirror, she has a potty accident and/or throw-up. I know it seems ridiculous to buy a car just for her, but it's truly awful to be in a car with her.

Comment

Do you think there's a mental/anxiety component to it? Like, she's now conditioned to feel sick every time? I wonder if there's any type of therapy you could do with her to disrupt the cycle.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Best cars for motion sickness?!

Our oldest used to get horrible motion sickness in my old car (Kia). It had a weird suspension that rolled strangely with every turn. The new Toyota Highlander doesn't make her sick, even in the far back seats that are usually the most problematic.

Comment

I used to get car sick in my husbands mini-van. We sold the car. I only feel sick when he drives. Haha.
                  Needs

Comment

I get motion sick super easily, and when I was a child it was worse. A new, higher boosting car seat may do the trick before a new car?
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I guess we'll keep at it. Buying a new car just seems like crazy talk. We just feel terribly for her, because it's almost debilitating. A big part of it is that she's just not a good eater, and she does do better on a fuller stomach. She's gone on field trips where she's sat with a bag--and has ed into it. And then she just feels embarrassed and ill for the whole outing.

Comment

I have an issue with motion sickness. Sitting in the back seat for me is awful and I have the hardest time with buses or vans (I honestly quit college athletics because of it).

Anyway, I know this is an absurd suggestion -but, I've usually been ok in the back of a range rover. Not sure why. I've also done ok in my mom's Lexus SUV.

I just spent an entire week car sick while traveling in no ca (we had a grand Cherokee, which we almost always rent, the roads were just so curvy... ) It sucked. It was really awful. I'm sorry you all have to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                        X