Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Concerned about my 5 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerned about my 5 year old

I don't know if there's some underlying issue for all of these concerns or if they're just individual issues I need to tackle. I also don't know how much of this is in the wide spectrum of normal.

*Anxiety: So she has a lot of anxiety. She's an extremely light sleeper due to it. She still wants me to lie down with her to fall asleep and will wake up as soon as I get up to leave. She ends up in our room every night and has to be touching me or she'll wake up and move next to me. We call her a heat-seeking missile. She asks me a lot of "what if?" questions about whatever's bothering her that day.

*Physical delays: She walked late/never crawled and was in physical therapy from 11 months to just this past year. Her diagnosis was flat feet and hip weakness. They prescribed orthotics for the flat feet and advised us to put her in lots of physical activities/sports to strengthen her hips and core. She's in soccer, gymnastics, swimming and tae kwon do. She's by far the most far behind in all of those activities compared to the other kids. Part of it is the physical weakness but she also barely tries. She's clumsy and between that and her anxiety, she puts the least effort in.

*Fine motor skills: she'll often resort to eating with her hands instead of utensils. She seems to have more difficulty with it than her 2 year old brother.

She flaps her arms and bounces (when sitting) when she gets excited. She only does this at home, so it's controllable.

Her lack of empathy (she's overly sensitive about herself if she gets physically or emotionally but laughs or gets angry when someone else is upset or hurt) I've been modeling empathy so sometimes I'll see her mimicking me when her brother gets hurt but I don't know if she actually feels bad about it.

Any advice? I don't know if these are just individual issues I need to tackle or if there's some underlying issue. On the other hand, her strengths are that she spoke early and loves reading and writing.

It could be related, it could not. It could be on the spectrum of normal. I hear your mama spidey-sense going off, so that is maybe a good enough reason to start making some inquiries. But when my kids have quirky issues, I kind of have to ask myself, what is diagnosis going to do? If it's something I could do anyway, then maybe I just do it anyway and see how it helps.

She sounds a little like one of DD's little friends here, with the emotional sensitivity and mediocre empathy and occasional flapping. She's a fun kid, kind of intense, but last I heard her dad they figured they could wait and see how much of the behaviors she outgrew.
    Alison

Comment

All of my children wanted me to lay with them and they all ended up in my bed almost every night. And they have to be touching me when they are in bed. The 8yo stopped this around 6.5-7yo. The 4 and 6 yos are in my bed or my mom's bed 5 out of 7 nights.

Though that's the only thing you mentioned that seems "normal" to me. I think I would be concerned enough about the other issues to seek medical advice. And I guess since you are asking, you are thinking that as well.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I agree - your mommy instincts are the biggest indicator that it may be time to see about an evaluation. Expert recommendations may be enough to help with a lot of the things you're seeing.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I don't know much about this age but I agree, trust your instincts.
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I can only speak to the anxiety part, but that was totally me as a child. I grew out of it (haha maybe?) but it took awhile
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'll add to the voices that say to trust your instincts. All of the various symptoms could point to something ... or nothing.
              It can't hurt to talk with your pediatrician and request a neuropsych eval. Hopefully it can put your worries to rest or point you in the direction of early intervention.

Kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                I'll add to the voices that say to trust your instincts. All of the various symptoms could point to something ... or nothing.
                It can't hurt to talk with your pediatrician and request a neuropsych eval. Hopefully it can put your worries to rest or point you in the direction of early intervention.

Kris
                Yup. All sorts of this.

Comment

Thanks. DH is a neurologist and he doesn't seem concerned but he's also barely home. Also neuropsych is completely different than what he practices. He will probably think I'm going overboard, which I may be but I'd rather be assured. (She probably gets the anxiety frome me!)

Comment

I agree with trust your instincts. You have nothing to lose by having her evaluated and finding she is fine. If there is something going on, you are losing valuable time.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

DD has most of the symptoms you mention but can also tutn them on and off. The only one that doesn't fit is the physical delay. In fact she's quite the oppisite when it comes to any kind of sport. I was wondering if seeing a neurologist or psychologist would be beneficial but her ability to turn her symptoms on and off at will throws me off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

both my dd(4/6) sleeps with someone otherwise they will not go to sleep. it's a pain. i sleep with the kids at 8pm and get up at 9pm when they finally fall asleep--then i'm up until 1am.. arggghhh..

Comment

Working...
                        X