Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Testing for DS1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so sorry. It sucks that you have to go through this alone with your DH at work. I hope you're able to talk about it together tonight.

Comment

I agree 3 hours seems really long...especially for a child who had difficulty with receptive language. No wonder he stopped listening.

Thinking of you A!!
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

How hard, I'm so sorry. I hope you get some answers soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ugh. It's very painful. We went around about an IEP for my son when he was in first grade and that was emotionally taxing enough, without the testing and stress that brings. I think the unknown is always scary. You will feel better when you have some clear diagnosis and can make a plan.

FWIW, my son's issues came to nothing.

Don't freak out until you know more.

Angie
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Hugs and positive thoughts being sent your way. You are doing your very best to help your son. Good job, mama.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

Big hugs to you. I can only imagine how hard that was. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. What happens next?
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'm just in catching up, but I can't imagine how hard that was for all of you! Sending more hugs, and hoping you get some answers soon!

Sent from Tapatalk
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Honestly? I have a hard time believing that Bean is of low average intelligence.

That said, the testing is grueling foe everyone. I remember C was 5 when he did his and he was crawling under tables, and generally not cooperating. Awful to see.

That said, most of his issues have resolved, or we have learned to compensate for them.

A label for Bean doesn't change who he is.

Hang in there.
                  Kris

Comment

Just hugs.
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Count me in the "that's way too long" camp. Ds11 had testing last year and they kept it to 2 hours max, with a 15 break in between sessions. The lady running the test and the psychologist insisted that the testing is too taxing mentally for longer sessions. Ds came out with some dx that has been very helpful for me as we embark on homeschooling. Doesn't change who he is, but knowing some of his challenges helps me a bit when I'm trying to work with him. (All the conceptual math!!!! Ugh!!! Super hard for him and his particular neurological makeup. But conceptual math and "mental math" is everywhere).

Anyway I wouldn't worry too much about blended learning classes at this point either--- if he needs the IEP though by all means get it. My ds needs an IEP but the schools won't give it to him. I'll have to go to the office of civil rights if his new school won't help. I wish I'd gotten it when we were in CA bc they were totally willing to work with me. You live you learn!!! But his IEP would not mean he'd be in special Ed classes. It would be an IEP to allow for modification of some math assignments that are simply too conceptual for him (like trying to use mental math methods to solve complex multiplication when you can simply just use regrouping and regular multiplication and get the right answer that way.)

Anyway not to go in the weeds too far-- just to let you know that IEP doesn't mean special Ed, it just means specialized Ed.

Hang in there... Things will be ok. They really will. But it is so scary and difficult.

Thoughts and prayers with you.
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Just wanted to offer my hugs.

Wife of a PGY-6
                        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I agree with HoW.
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

You are a great mom. Bean's lucky to have you on his side. Hugs.
                            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Big hugs. What a brutal day of testing. I hope your DH was home in time to talk to you yesterday, and that they get back to you quickly with the rest of the results.
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X