Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Zoe's dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoe's dance

Today was Zoe's recital

She won her 5 year award.

Of all of the dancers in the entire studio, she is absolutely the worst. Every other 5 year winner is in the official dance troupe. Zoe is just an unofficial dancer in a dance class.

She is so very bad you guys. Bad.

What do I do?

Private lessons? Let it go?

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate that tapatalk just keeps switching me back to admin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would maybe offer for her to change activities and give up dance to make room for something else. Maybe she thinks you want her to take dance or she has to. I think if you offer, and she wants to pursue dance because she just loves it, let her keep going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

It depends.

Does Zoe love dance the way it is and is having fun? Keep the status quo.

Does she like or love it but wish she was better? Lessons.

Does she dislike or only tolerate it, feel obligated only? Find something else. It's really something completely special when your kid finds their passion.

Lexi loves to swim. She's not good!! Slowest in her age group on the team, but she loves it and practices, and we get her extra lessons.

She's really benefitting from it because she loves it. If we got her extra without that passion? Disaster.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I was once on observing a class and just chatting with one of the dance teachers. She looked at one girl who struggled a lot and sighed. She said, "you know, I'd love to put my hand on her shoulder and say that maybe dance just isn't your sport, but she loves it."

Much like Heidi said, it depends on Zoe. Does she want to improve, what does she think when she watches the recital DVD? She is at an age where she should notice that she is behind, but maybe that is okay with her. Sometimes just a few private lessons with a great teacher are all they need for things to click. I've seen many girls go from borderline average dancers to standouts. But those are the girls that really want it and are willing to put in the time to get there.

I would just chat with her to see what she is interested in. Does she ever want to be part of the company? Does she want to take more classes or some privates? Or does she just really love dancing but isn't really interested in getting too serious about it? That is a valid position as well.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I was the worst dancer in my ballet class for 14 years. I didn't love it. It was hard, and humbling, and sometimes embarrassing, but I stuck with it because I wanted to be someone who could dance. I was never as skilled as I wanted to be and probably looked really foolish in recitals, but I think it was good for me. The practice and discipline were great for my mental health, and even though I was not great at the choreography, I learned how to carry myself in a way that still gets me compliments now, 15+ years after my last class. So I wouldn't say that lack of aptitude alone should be grounds for giving up. The experience of not being good at something can be good, if handled with care.

Comment

Working...
            X