Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Night terrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night terrors

There are 2 old threads on this, but I decided to make a new one.

All three of my kids have had them. K hasn't outgrown them yet. And they are intense! He's 6 and a half. I've read that they can last until puberty. But I also read that they are usually only 1 or 2 episodes a month. He has like 1 a week. Sometimes more. He usually wakes up D, and sometimes P. He runs around screaming and loudly arguing and will sometimes stomp. He goes up and down the stairs. I know they say not to wake them up, but I totally try and usually am able to. And that's what stops it. Of course he falls right back to sleep and has NO recollection of it the next day. None. And he thinks it's hilarious if someone tells him about his running around and screaming. He has full arguments in his sleep. And his speech is very clear.

Should I worry about the frequency? I know right now with school starting it makes sense that they are increased, but it's been nightly since school started. He's also now terrified of the dark and won't walk around the house if the lights aren't on. We have nightlights all over but they aren't bright enough for him.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Have you talked to the ped about them? I remember C having them at around 4, but they only lasted 6-12 months, thankfully.

Have you kept records of when they happen? Are they correlated to being overtired or overstimulated before bedtime?
    Kris

Comment

Two of my kids had them as preschoolers. They eventually out grew them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Needs

Comment

I haven't talked to his pediatrician yet. I will, I just wasn't sure if I was over reacting.

It's really easy to find excuses, he's been over tired, he's had a lot of changes, etc.

My other two had them during the preschool years...K did too, but they haven't gone away yet and are seeming to become more frequent. I noticed it more when P (almost 5) stopped having them and K (over 6) is still having them and so intensely! He wakes up D and disrupts my parents.

But yeah, over tired, when his anxiety seems worse, lots of new changes....all of those do seem to correlate to more night terrors.
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I would talk to his pediatrician.

Also, this may or may not be useful?

https://www.gillettechildrens.org/up...s/Vol20No2.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for that! Definitely don't think it's epilepsy based on the fact that he walks around and has very purposeful movements. He looks awake most of the time and will sometimes answer or speak appropriately as if he really is talking to me awake. My dad is just now getting used to the idea that he's still asleep. For the past two years my dad has thought K has been awake the entire time.

I'm going to bring it up to the ped. I'll wait a couple of weeks though because school just started and I bet they are slammed with back to school stuff.

I mentioned it to the behavior analyst we have for D. She didn't know much about sleep disorders, but I'm going to ask her again in case she knows someone else.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I hope it's ok-- I asked dh about this. Hugs-- I know night terrors are really scary. All of mine have outgrown them except occasionally dd6 will have one. My older son and my oldest dd are known to sleepwalk-- when we moved here my son left our hotel room at 2am and I had no idea. He told me about it the next day. Apparently he "woke up" when he got to the lobby!!! He realized he had no key, so he went to the front desk and they issued him one. So scary!!!
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Thanks! My cousin had to have a lock installed at the top of her rear door because her son would sleep walk and go outside and she wasafraid he would fall in their pool! So far K makes it down the stairs with no problems, but that's the scariest part! I'm so used to the waking up screaming that I don't panic and worry anymore....I just head his way to hopefully soothe the other kids back to sleep. The sleep walking is super scary. I'm glad that your son was ok!!! Let me know if your DH has any suggestions!

None last night! Hopefully they slow down again now that the first week of school is over. He's still having nightmares, but all my kids do and I still have them too. And of course, I still have an open bed policy and thankfully my mom does too....so the kids have 2 safe places to go when they are scared.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I asked him and he said it may be worth a consult with sleep med. sometimes sleep apnea or other sleep issues can cause night terrors-- sounds like D has more episodes than typical.

It also sounds like it may be that anxiety increases them? Which would be really typical too. I know whenever under stress my kids have more sleep issues.

Nonetheless sleep med can help you through it-- they have techniques I guess. You may want to know if there is a physiological reason behind it (anatomy wise). My twins both had sleep apnea, and had tonsillectomies in January, and they are sleeping much better. No more snoring. My dd14 is especially sleeping better now.

I know. Just another thing for moms to worry about.

Hugs!!!!
                  Peggy

Comment

Thank you! I'll talk to his ped and ask about referral to sleep med! His anxiety is a whole other issue! He's my poop withholder too, that has gotten worse since school started..a little Miralax later and I'm dealing with underwear soiling. Maybe I should get the anxiety addressed first....
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Hang in there.

I swear the anxiety and depression I see in my ds11 is far more worrisome for me than the diabetes or peanut allergy for ds14. It's really tough to tackle the issues of "self".

Hugs-- I hope it all resolved soon for your sweet boy.
                      Peggy

Comment

Working...
                      X