Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Extracurriculars and Time Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
    Lol, its a standard quote around here. Our kids will readily admit that many of the kids that also "walk on water" have parents that sit at their elbow to monitor homework (even in high school), have parents that manage issues with teachers, coaches, etc. But when asked if they'd prefer we be more like that they are quick to say, "no, please, don't be that parent!!" They're happy to be just pretty okay

MrsK, I wasn't suggesting K1 can keep his own schedule, was just wondering how parties can be mandatory? Much of this stuff is mandatory because we or our kiddos make it so and that is a okay if it works for you, its also okay to say, sorry, mom can't make it. Elementary goes quickly and it will be much easier for you when they are in the same school.
    [MENTION=1102]Pollyanna[/MENTION] oh, I know. I just don't think the school considers how much a burden it is on the parents when they plan "bring a pancake to school" day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
      @Pollyanna oh, I know. I just don't think the school considers how much a burden it is on the parents when they plan "bring a pancake to school" day.

You are correct, they absolutely do not! This is the one reason I liked being on the PTO board. We changed so much of that crap, it was a beautiful thing. And in terms of Teacher Appreciation week, our teachers actually didn't like the whole week of activities. I mean they appreciated it but felt it took too much time away from the classroom and just added too much crazy to the end of the year. With their blessing we went to a teacher appreciation DAY.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

You are correct, they absolutely do not! This is the one reason I liked being on the PTO board. We changed so much of that crap, it was a beautiful thing. And in terms of Teacher Appreciation week, our teachers actually didn't like the whole week of activities. I mean they appreciated it but felt it took too much time away from the classroom and just added too much crazy to the end of the year. With their blessing we went to a teacher appreciation DAY.
        Right. And it feels so contrived when my kid has to perform specified activities to show his appreciation. We should be able to determine how we want to participate if at all.

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

My version of PTO changed to a Teacher Appreciation DAY, limited classroom collections for expensive gifts and instead did a nice luncheon with potted flowers and thank you notes for each teacher ------ BUT (wait for it) -----

the new generation of PTO moms has felt this wasn't enough, so they ramped up to a week ("like other schools do!") and have brought back a gift arms race.

It's always a cycle.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
            My version of PTO changed to a Teacher Appreciation DAY, limited classroom collections for expensive gifts and instead did a nice luncheon with potted flowers and thank you notes for each teacher ------ BUT (wait for it) -----

the new generation of PTO moms has felt this wasn't enough, so they ramped up to a week ("like other schools do!") and have brought back a gift arms race.

It's always a cycle.
            So true!! No matter what the teachers want, lol. I guess thats akin to the crazy class parties when in reality the kids would be happy with a cupcake, some juice and an extra recess.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Although, my daughter's preschool is only two hours, I like the way they operate. Our old school used to only allow 4 parents per classroom party. The current elementary school is a free-for-all. The parking lot and the rooms have more parents than kids. I go to assemblies, etc. My kid is mad at me for not being at all her parties. It has too many cooks in the kitchen for my liking. Plus, my little one gets overwhelmed by all the people. I have some ideas on the travel soccer. I'll respond if another thread is started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Needs

Comment

Working...
              X