Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Piano lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
    This is very true. I had an intro lesson with an either 3 or 4 year old and after 15 minutes he started crying and saying how he didn't like the instrument!

As for sitting in the lesson, absolutely. Especially starting at such a young age you'll have to practice with them every day, most parents take notes during the lesson so they can remember what to do (I also write in an assignment notebook for them). I tell families they should sit in lessons / practice with the child until they start demonstrating the desire and ability to practice on their own. Usually the parent will first give up practicing with them, then eventually stop attending the lessons. For those types of parents they usually stop sitting in lessons around 6-7 grade.

Of course I have older elementary school students who practice / do lessons on their own. But if they're young, like 3rd grade, and the parent refuses to sit in the lesson that usually means the parent isn't invested enough. They pretty much all disappear after a couple months. I had 2 student this year who were over the moon for the instrument. I invited both sets of parents to sit in the lessons. One flat out refused, I got the mom of the second child to sit in her first lesson and she stared at her phone the entire time. Both families disappeared after 6-8 lessons. Which is sad because it was evident how much they students wanted to play.

@TulipsAndSunscreen where would you like me to look for teachers? In TX or ultimate destination?
    I wish you lived here and taught guitar! We are having trouble finding a guitar teacher in Omaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

haha, I can't play a lick of guitar.

You're totally right about the parent being the driver when they start young. Sometimes I look at parents who are trying to leave the responsibility to their 7 year old and I'm like what? You're blaming him for not practicing? But then the inverse are the Suzuki moms, once the child starts wanting autonomy (usually around age 12) it's super hard for them to let go. I started with a 7th grader last year, she'd done pure Suzuki until coming to me. Her mom still sat in their lessons. Totally non communicative, zoned out in lessons, looked to her mom to answer questions, practiced as little as possible. I had some talks with her parents, not entirely sure what happened but at the end of the summer mom stopped even coming inside at lessons. I let the student choose her repertoire for the fall. She's a totally different person. She's actually engaged. I've experienced this so many times with middle schoolers it's hard to tell parents it happens like clockwork. I know they trust me as a teacher but I have to tread lightly since I'm not actually a mom.

Originally posted by ides View Post
      I wish you lived here and taught guitar! We are having trouble finding a guitar teacher in Omaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
        @TulipsAndSunscreen where would you like me to look for teachers? In TX or ultimate destination?
        Texas probably. Since we're not signed with final destination yet. (sounds ominous).

Thanks so much!
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

[MENTION=1315]TulipsAndSunscreen[/MENTION], I have seen recs for teachers local to my area on local Facebook groups if you are interested. We've considered it for N, but would wait til Kindergarten or probably 1st grade at the earliest (due to stuff going on)
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Well that'll be when we are there. We should team up so they get a group lesson!
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Could you PM me your fellowship location, and if it's in a particular neighborhood or township how far you're willing to drive?

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
              Texas probably. Since we're not signed with final destination yet. (sounds ominous).

Thanks so much!

Comment

All we know right now is Dallas. So maybe I ought to wait and not make you look up something until we move there. I'm a planner...

Comment

I get it. But I've heard Dallas is a wee bit large of a city so until you know the area you'll be doing must of your running around probably wouldn't be helpful. As soon as you want to solicit my help don't hesitate. I could even do some vetting after ST's group makes their recommendations. Or the other way around. I'm sure you know how different people are online vs. in real life. Just tap my shoulder when you're ready!

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                  All we know right now is Dallas. So maybe I ought to wait and not make you look up something until we move there. I'm a planner...

Comment

Working...
                  X