Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pokémon EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pokémon EX

Someone please get me up to speed. K1 has been talking about it obsessively. He was near tears today because he apparently doesn't have the right type of cards and none of the other boys will trade with him. I don't know what he's talking about. What do I tell the grandparents to get for his birthday?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

We went through almost the same thing. I could be totally wrong but I also have a 6 year old obsessed with trading the cards. There are ones that say EX. They are usually more expensive from what I've seen if you get an EX specific pack. Based on when DS has made me read the rules and try to play the card game (it is so confusing) the EX cards do more damage/have more health points. When you are looking at the cards I think there are packs that specifically say Pokemon EX. I will have to figure this out before Christmas. Up to this point DS has used his own money to buy the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Where do I buy these? Is there a link I can send the grandparents when they ask me what to buy? The packs on Amazon.com have lousy reviews.

Comment

He got his hands on one card yesterday and now he's convinced that his entire social life depends on being able to trade cards with the other boys.

Comment

Check with your local library, ours actually has a Pokeman club that meets on Saturdays and is run by the librarian. The kids get together and make trades!!!!! The nice thing is it keeps it out of the schools, the kids are from several different public and private schools and are able to meet and make friends outside of their own classrooms.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

You can sometimes find small packs at the dollar stores and CVS/Walgreens. I think it's kinda like baseball cards. ...you buy a random pack and hope you get some good cards. To play the actual game you need to have basic, first, and second evolutions along with the correct energy and trainer cards to evolve them.

We don't play the game in my house, but my kids trade the cards and figurines with the other kids in school. They trade other small toys/trinkets as well. So one kid might trade a loom band bracelet for a Pokémon figurine (I think you can buy bags of these little plastic guys from the store - I can ask my friend where she gets them, probably walmart - all of the kids love them!) And then that kid might trade the figurine for a card from another kid. The deals get crazy and complex and I tend to stay out of them.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Pokémon EX

DS has gotten them at Target. His grandma got him some off Amazon for his birthday and they seemed fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Ok. So what is basic, first, second evolution?

I bought a pack at Walmart and I'm using them as rewards for acts of self control (something that's a struggle for K1).

Comment

We started into Pokemon by getting a "trainer pack." It gives you a deck of cards that actually works together to play the game, and has an instruction sheet that steps you through how to play a whole game with THAT PACK. Eg. "Now play card X. On your next turn, now evolve card X by putting down card Y." Definitely makes the complicated rules more accessible, and it should help you understand evolutions and such. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/TCG-Latias-La...dp/B00T5UXY8G/
                  Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                    We started into Pokemon by getting a "trainer pack." It gives you a deck of cards that actually works together to play the game, and has an instruction sheet that steps you through how to play a whole game with THAT PACK. Eg. "Now play card X. On your next turn, now evolve card X by putting down card Y." Definitely makes the complicated rules more accessible, and it should help you understand evolutions and such. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/TCG-Latias-La...dp/B00T5UXY8G/
                    Thanks. Added it to his birthday wish list. So far, I've just been rewarding him individual cards for being in control of himself (something that is really hard for him). He's earned about 4 cards so far. I don't want to give him too many cards too soon because I'll deflate my currency. I assume that there is an infinite number of cards and more is better?

Comment

They do keep making more cards, so you will never have them all. (Hopefully, LOL.) But at some point if he gets into playing the game, he might develop a strategy that requires having (or trading for) more of one type or another, or seeking out specific cards by buying or trading.

My kids are barely even into it, but it only took one or two gift-giving holidays when they were at that fledgling interest stage, and now they each have a huge binder, and can spend blissful time organizing the binders, playing the game, or trading with each other, or we even have one or two neighborhood friends we trade with. We might buy a $5 pack of new cards as a special treat once or twice a year.
                      Alison

Comment

Working...
                      X