Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

When to start looking at schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to start looking at schools

DS is 3 and is in preschool 2 days a week. He'll be in the same school this year, starting the 3 day class in September. It's good, not the best, but classes are small. I'm not worried yet, he's only 3 but he is showing signs of being way ahead academically so we're starting to think ahead. This is proving difficult for a couple of reasons. The schools in our district are average and we are thinking about moving in the next couple of years. Is it too early to start visiting private schools now with a view to enrolling him in Pre-K? Is it crazy to move to another OK school district just to be close to a private school?
    We're thinking about private because the only really good school district is so, so expensive and I don't think we'll find a property there.
    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

It depends. Some private schools are so sought after that he might not get in after preschool. Others are a little more chilled out.

All the doctors kids I know are ahead. Having two well educated parents, access to good sleep/nutrition, etc are just such huge advantages. I'm not saying he's not smart just don't panic yet. We get the same thing about both C and D - they're so smart, they're so ahead, etc and they are. I think they're both above average intelligence but definitely not truly truly exceptionally gifted (defining that as top 1% or something).

You might be surprised what you find in "ok" school districts. Where we will be moving for attendinghood has "meh" schools but upon further deep review, there are some really great options for parents who are on top of things (IB programs, dual language immersion, "lab" schools, etc). Obviously if you know you want private, go for it...just as some one 100% private school educated...you're not only getting the great education. There's definitely some serious baggage those schools can carry (more intensive bullying, competition, higher rates of depression/suicide, more access to $$ for drugs/alcohol, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
      It depends. Some private schools are so sought after that he might not get in after preschool. Others are a little more chilled out.

All the doctors kids I know are ahead. Having two well educated parents, access to good sleep/nutrition, etc are just such huge advantages. I'm not saying he's not smart just don't panic yet. We get the same thing about both C and D - they're so smart, they're so ahead, etc and they are. I think they're both above average intelligence but definitely not truly truly exceptionally gifted (defining that as top 1% or something).

You might be surprised what you find in "ok" school districts. Where we will be moving for attendinghood has "meh" schools but upon further deep review, there are some really great options for parents who are on top of things (IB programs, dual language immersion, "lab" schools, etc). Obviously if you know you want private, go for it...just as some one 100% private school educated...you're not only getting the great education. There's definitely some serious baggage those schools can carry (more intensive bullying, competition, higher rates of depression/suicide, more access to $$ for drugs/alcohol, etc)

Thanks so much for this! I should have added a how to the when! I will write more later but I'm going into this with very little knowledge of the U.S school system, just DH's experience and what I've heard from other parents really.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by MrsC; 01-20-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I think you can start looking. It seems to me to be geographically dependent, but in our last city, people were on lists for certain pre-schools before babies were born. Here that's considered insane (it is insane, but I did it anyway). However, in the same town - the super expensive private schools usually weren't that hard to get into, easier if you start at pre-k, but if it was just one kid, lots of transplants got in without issue. The lab schools or magnet schools were a very different story. Those weren't 25K a year, and people fought for those spots like crazy people.

If you are trying to get two kids in, it seems like it's a bigger PITA... of course this is just what I've been told. Many twin parents have told me to get on lists as early as possible because it's difficult to be sure you'll find spots for both if you wait.

Comment

In our city having twins is an upside! Siblings get preference so you get two shots in every magnet/charter lottery. (Public schools though)

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
            In our city having twins is an upside! Siblings get preference so you get two shots in every magnet/charter lottery. (Public schools though)
            Same here! Once one kid is in, any siblings get in automatically.
            I don't think it's ever too early to start looking into schools. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to put down a deposit and sign him up ASAP, but just touching base with the school and finding out what their enrollment process is like can be helpful. I enrolled DS1 in the Pre-K an out-of-district public school because you (supposedly) get first dibs on any open spots for K. We're not 100% sure this is where he'll go for K, but I know this school is tougher to get into because it's really good + it's public (aka free), so we can always opt for the private school when it's time for K if we want.

Comment

we started early--say when they were in nursey - 5 days a week..
              in nyc- the top g&t schools seems a lot better than any expensive public suburban school. g&t school is at least 1 or 2 yrs more advance. first one got into a good g&t school... second one couldn't get in.. sadly.. there's a big difference between my kids schools.

Comment

I'm moving my kids at the end of this school year to a new school/daycare that I'd be happy keeping them in through 8th grade (as high as it goes), even though I'm not sure we'll still be here that long. I don't think it's too early.

I feel like E is really advanced too, but when I actually thought about would it would mean to put her ahead, I decided against it. She's a November birthday, so if I put her in PK next year, she'd go to college at 17, and I'm not a fan of that. So, she'll just have to figure out how to be bored and play for a little bit longer in the 3yo class next year, and we'll keep working on stuff with her at home too.
                Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Thanks all! I've been thinking over it and doing some research. We have nothing against public schools at all, we both went to them. My issues with the district we're in is that they're cutting back on things like music and art to save money. There's no sign of it improving. School taxes here are much lower than surrounding areas and it would actually cost us less to send him to the nearby Catholic school than to move to the better school district.
                  I think that's our best option. We're going to visit next week and may even switch to their preschool this year. I think it would be best to make the change before he really starts making friends. It's an excellent school and a lot of DH's colleagues send their kids there. So I guess we'll see!!

Comment

Working...
                  X