Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

First time mom mistake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time mom mistake!

Ughhhhh. I'm an idiot. No one had signed up to bring a "treat" (which has to be nonfood item because of allergy in the mwf class that uses the same room) for the 2yo preschool Halloween party. I knew it would be a pain, but I had no idea that it would be totally impossible.

Every single thing is 3+. I cannot understand the anticipated choking hazards for a 2yo in so many of the cases. I'm sooooo annoyed.

This is mostly a vent, but was wondering if anyone had any good ideas....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time mom mistake!

Play doh (double check it isn't a wheat allergy)? Medium bouncy balls (not airway sized). Stickers. Non-toxic bubbles.

ETA: Play doh says 2+ on the container and Costco sells a giant bag of tiny tiny play doh containers. It's what we give out for Trick or Treaters instead of candy.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I was going to suggest playdoh, bubble wands, or coloring sheets from the dollar store.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

play dough is messy and stamps end up all over my house and kids faces. Bubbles are a magical at that age. Great pictures and laughs. I would do that.
        -Ladybug

Comment

First time mom mistake!

I bought the giant Costco bag last week! I just thought it was kind of lame and not exciting for the school treat. (Because I was also planning to give out as allergy treat like you for Halloween night, but I bought some more random non-food items for older kids too). Store bought play-doh is fine (we have to supply big tubs one month of year -- was supposed to be a little like a homework project... make the play-doh for the month, but she had a bad reaction first month, so now store bought is the only thing they allow... not upset about that! Lol).

I actually bought a bunch of stickers off amazon. The make your own jack-o-lantern faces. Opened the box this morning... they say 5+ and have a choking hazard warning?!?!?? The stickers are flat. Wtf?

Last edited by JDAZ11; 10-04-2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

hahaha! They should have a choking hazard for life. You're doing great!!! This is a sitcom episode though a modern parenting life. LOL.
            -Ladybug

Comment

So the play-doh is going in the bag. I'll look for some bigger bubbles (all the bubbles have been choking hazards too!). And then I'm putting the stupid stickers and the glitter glasses I bought (both which I looked at today and saw the 5+ warning... yep. On the stupid glitter glasses too???).

I think that may be it. I actually tried to be a little crafty and make those lacing board things from a free printable file I found. It's like a friendly pumpkin and a mummy. All printed (still need to cut and hole punch though &#128580. And then I started looking for shoe laces. Inflation is insane. Shoe laces are so expensive!!!! So I guess if I get around to it, those will go in the bag too.

That's enough, right? (Even if I don't finish the lacing boards?). This stuff adds up fast. The play-doh was by far the best find ever, but the under 3 toys certainly are not very easy on the bank account!

Comment

Oh! And I will run to dollar store and see if I can find age appropriate coloring sheets 🙄.

Comment

Ok! I found big Halloween bubble wands on etsy... inexpensive, except shipping was absurd. They look pretty awesome. So I may even save the glitter glasses for next year. Will see.

Ok done. And no lacing sheets. Thank god I realized that even that was a pain. DIY is not working for this life phase... maybe when they are 7!

Comment

Thank you for the ideas!

Comment

Sounds like WAY more than I would have done. You are VERY much winning at adulting today.
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Sounds awesome to me! Nice work.

Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Working...
                        X