Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Really strong sympathetic nervous system response in kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really strong sympathetic nervous system response in kids

This is a random question but y'all are so knowledgeable that I thought I'd ask.

I have an anxious personality (you'd call it neurotic on the "Big 5 Personality" index) and D definitely takes after me. When something really sudden happens, especially physical, I have always had an incredibly strong adrenaline response. Like not just an energy surge but sweaty, nauseated, heart pounding, etc. Ironically, I'm excellent in a crisis but I do find it hard to calm down afterward. Lately, I've noticed that D is having INCREDIBLY strong sympathetic nervous system responses to things.

Two recent examples, she stubbed her toe really hard in the middle of the night and today she fell off a low wall backwards and bonked her head (she's fine, it was just scary and it did hurt). In both cases, within 30 seconds, she was sweating profusely, like dripping with sweat, and totally overwhelmed. Couldn't stop screaming despite being physically fine. After both incidents, she was extremely sleepy because I think it was super exhausting to finally come down from the adrenaline.

So besides being aware of it, is there anything I can/should do? I felt awful for her. She was drenched in sweat and freaking out. I'd love to help her learn that this is just a physical response and not to be further upset by how her body is reacting if that makes sense. I just know this is going to get harder as she's older and also feels embarrassed.

Anyone else experienced this?
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

I think just being aware, and guiding her through it, is probably pretty good. My DD is pretty anxious, as I can be from time to time. She learned "belly breathing" at karate, which helps a ton. And giving her a good example of clear-headed response to crisis is something that's helped us both.
    Alison

Comment

Yes, to the breathing....learning to breath in and out (belly expands/contracts) vs up and down(rib cage/shoulders go up and down). Yoga/breathing have taught my brain to cope with the anxiety part.

Not the same but I wonder if this would help. My nervous system sometimes goes wacky and actually zaps all energy - it is tougher for me to "re-set". I use restorative poses when I can. It is also not uncommon for me to lay on a bolster suggested by my Physical Therapist. I am also about to buy a weighted blanket. There is something about having the weight of multiple blankets/comforters that help BUT so not attractive on my bed and a PITA to put away to make the bed each morning.
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Working...
      X