Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Montessori vs. Play-Based Preschool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montessori vs. Play-Based Preschool

I know this is a topic that involves tons of personal opinion as well as what's right for your own unique kid, but I'm just looking for perspectives.

DD (will be 4 in January) spent her first 3.5 years at a fun, loving, chaotic, play-based daycare. She developed great social skills and friendships, did TONS of creative play, and generally seemed to have a lot of fun. She's energetic and strong-willed, but falls somewhere in the middle of the range in terms of activity level, attention span, etc. So NOT the most difficult kid in the room by any means, and usually very self-regulated (until she comes home at night). It was a great environment for her as a young toddler, but I was beginning to think that the lack of challenge and learning was making her bored. She basically played with baby dolls all day. It seemed like a good age to make a switch to something more structured.

When we moved, we put her into a Spanish-immersion Montessori school. It's somewhat strict Montessori - there's nothing you would consider a "toy" there, and creative play is very minimal. She's picking up Spanish very quickly, and I can tell her math skills have advanced a ton since she started. But I'm not sure if she's having fun. She seems to be doing OK - she has friends, she gets some (but not enough) crazy play time at recess, and she has bonded well with one of her 2 teachers - the one who is not a strict Montessori devotee, who is warmer and more playful.

She has literally said to me - and this brings me to tears - "At my old school I used to play. Now I work." I'm concerned that the 3-hour work cycles are developmentally inappropriate, that she's not getting enough active play time, and that it's just too serious and not warm enough. I worry I'm going to make her hate school. But we've put her through so much transition this year that I hate to even consider changing schools again. On top of that, I don't think there's a "perfect" school around - many in this area don't even have their own playgrounds, and others are so wildly expensive I can't consider them. The other Montessori schools in the area seem to be very similar in style, so if we were to switch her we would probably be removing her from Montessori altogether.

Any perspectives from BTDT parents? I feel like I don't know what's best for my kid in this situation, and it's causing me so much worry.
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Oh man, that's tough.

I'll start with my biases for full disclosure. I'm a Montessori devotee. I use Montessori with my children and would have sent them to a Montessori school for preschool if we could have afforded it.

Some of it is just a matter of transition and verbiage. They literally call activities "work" in a classroom so it may simply just be that she's referring to a changing term. My kids call all our Montessori activities "works" and ask to do them.

It's very true that at the primary age, Montessori isn't not very much about group play during the work cycle except for at a circle/recess time. The rest of the time, they're working independently or 1:1 with a teacher. There are some definite pros to this: individualized learning, development of concentration that is far beyond what most 3-6 year olds can do, independence and intrinsic motivation. But she's also identified the cons: it's not super interactive with friends, etc. and may not be great for super high energy kids. As far as developmentally inappropriate, I don't know that that's a huge concern just because it has been well studied in academic literature and it's fine for many though certainly not all kids. Most parents encountering a Montessori classroom for the first time absolutely cannot believe that their 3 year old will behave so calmly in class and yet by December, they are doing it.

When did she start? If it was in September, she's not yet "normalized" to the Montessori classroom and this transition phase (along with all the other transition phases and switching languages) may also be coloring her perspective on the situation. I think it's definitely worth at least mentioning to the teachers that she's having a hard time with the transition. That's information that a good teacher will want to know and will be able to help her with. There is some group work that she could do with normalized children (normally an older child in class) that might make it more enjoyable for her. And it's still pretty early in the school year so things will likely smooth out by the holidays.

That being said, if you really hate it, I'd consider switching next year. I hated HATED D's preschool last year for it's approach to preschool. The people were nice but it was just not a good fit for her at all. I'm a huge Montessori advocate and I can definitely see why it might not be for everyone, especially someone who is switching in after another preschool experience.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
      Oh man, that's tough.

I'll start with my biases for full disclosure. I'm a Montessori devotee. I use Montessori with my children and would have sent them to a Montessori school for preschool if we could have afforded it.

Some of it is just a matter of transition and verbiage. They literally call activities "work" in a classroom so it may simply just be that she's referring to a changing term. My kids call all our Montessori activities "works" and ask to do them.

It's very true that at the primary age, Montessori isn't not very much about group play during the work cycle except for at a circle/recess time. The rest of the time, they're working independently or 1:1 with a teacher. There are some definite pros to this: individualized learning, development of concentration that is far beyond what most 3-6 year olds can do, independence and intrinsic motivation. But she's also identified the cons: it's not super interactive with friends, etc. and may not be great for super high energy kids. As far as developmentally inappropriate, I don't know that that's a huge concern just because it has been well studied in academic literature and it's fine for many though certainly not all kids. Most parents encountering a Montessori classroom for the first time absolutely cannot believe that their 3 year old will behave so calmly in class and yet by December, they are doing it.

When did she start? If it was in September, she's not yet "normalized" to the Montessori classroom and this transition phase (along with all the other transition phases and switching languages) may also be coloring her perspective on the situation. I think it's definitely worth at least mentioning to the teachers that she's having a hard time with the transition. That's information that a good teacher will want to know and will be able to help her with. There is some group work that she could do with normalized children (normally an older child in class) that might make it more enjoyable for her. And it's still pretty early in the school year so things will likely smooth out by the holidays.

That being said, if you really hate it, I'd consider switching next year. I hated HATED D's preschool last year for it's approach to preschool. The people were nice but it was just not a good fit for her at all. I'm a huge Montessori advocate and I can definitely see why it might not be for everyone, especially someone who is switching in after another preschool experience.
      She started in July. I think she's adapting to the classroom practices - I certainly haven't heard of any issues other than her difficulty settling at nap time, and even that is not a problem most days. She does refer to "work" appropriately as what she's doing at school, but I can't help but wonder if the term is coloring her perspective as well as mine, because she does talk about it in the sense of missing how she used to "play" instead. I feel like I'm making her grow up too soon. I can tell she's learning a TON, which is what keeps me going at this point, but I also don't want to focus too much on academics at this age. She's so social, energetic, and creative that I worry this style is just completely squashing her spirit.

This was brought about because it's Columbus day today, and her school is closed. I sent her to a one-day "camp" at another school nearby and I was so relieved to hear they would be doing art projects, singing songs, and going to the park. I didn't realize how much Montessori was stressing me out until I saw the alternative.

*Also, this was brought about by my pregnancy hormones making me weepy. So there's that.
      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

We've never done Montessori (they are crazy expensive here), but we are in year 3 at a play based preschool we love. I know only a little about Montessori, so I cant really comment on how I would feel about it. The combo of lots of free play time, structured play time, and structured "learning" activities seems to be a good combo for my kids, so I'm sticking with it. I think it also helps that the 3/4 year old teachers are required to have at least an elementary education background at our school.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We’ve done Montessori, play based, and one that’s play based with a bit of academics mixed in. Honestly, the best preschool is where your child thrives and is happy. That is all that matters. Are they happy? Are they safe? If the answer is yes to both then you have found a winner!
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think Montessori is such a great philosophy!! (Have you ever heard of Charlotte Mason?? Another AMAZING educational philosophy!!) From an "older parent" perspective....looking back and having experienced with 4 different preschools....and from my absolute own personal opinions and observations....kids learn through play SO MUCH MORE than we understand from an adult perspective!! It is MUCH more important for kids to play and make messes and explore their world and toys and play make believe than ANY type of "academics". Kids will learn all the book junk when they are developmentally ready. Take reading for example....all those things kids explore as preschoolers is teaching them what they need to be able to read. Patterns, shapes, hearing stories. All that play are necessary steps to move on to the next level. Kids grow up SO FAST these days!!! If a kid isn't allowed to be a kid they will miss very important parts of development. So I would push towards play play play!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X