Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Food issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food issues

I’m curious as to how you feel about this. I have a family that is super strict about food intake. If their kids don’t eat their dinner, they serve it for breakfast. If they don’t eat it for breakfast, they send it for lunch. This makes huge issues st lunchtime as they cry and don’t eat. They are not allowed any other food. If they don’t eat every bite for lunch, they are forced to finish the food at snack. Rinse. Repeat. It seems cruel to me. I resent having to enforce it. The food is ethnic and smells bad to me. It has also been reheated multiple times. It seems so wrong. Am I nuts that I think this is too much?

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

How old are the kids? That seems excessive to me. I don't make other food if my kids don't eat what I prepare, but I don't make them eat it, especially not at a later meal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

4 and 5

Comment

That also seems excessive to me, and the multiple reheating seems gross. Plus, they must have to really not want it to go three meals without eating. If I know my son will eat a meal but tells me he doesn't want it, I tell him too bad, this is what is being served. That's dinner and if at least a healthy amount isn't eaten, then it's coming back out for bedtime snack. But that's it, the next day is a new day. My son might keep complaining, but if he's hungry, he'll eat it. Again i always have something I know he'll eat. He just would prefer something cheesy to chicken dinners. Im making chicken and green beans tonight and I'll bet you he's going to say he doesn't want it and beg for a cheesy egg sandwich. Not tonight kid. I'm not a short order cook.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

We have the rule that you have to try a meal. If it’s so dramatically awful that you can’t eat it, after dinner is over, you can have a plain peanut butter sandwich.

Comment

Food issues

My kids have to eat what they’re served at dinner or no dessert. They do not have to finish breakfast (we have the same thing every day). If they don’t finish lunch, they do finish it as snack.

Honest question: would you have a problem with it if the food was American and didn’t “smell bad” to you? Because unfamiliar foods often smell different to us even when cooked fresh simply because it’s not our regular palate.

Last edited by TulipsAndSunscreen; 04-02-2019, 04:49 PM.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
              My kids have to eat what they’re served at dinner or no dessert. They do not have to finish breakfast (we have the same thing every day). If they don’t finish lunch, they do finish it as snack.

Honest question: would you have a problem with it if the food was American and didn’t “smell bad” to you? Because unfamiliar foods often smell different to us even when cooked fresh simply because it’s not our regular palate.

Um of course not.

When I was a kid, my mom made liver for dinner. The smell made me gag. My dad made me sit at the table gagging and throwing up until I ate it all.

I don’t have a problem with ethnic food. I do have a sensitive nose though.

Comment

Just wondering because it doesn’t seem relevant what kind of food it was.

I know other food cultures really value finishing all their food. In Kenya, the families would 100% have done this (irrespective of income/food access) because it’s culturally much less acceptable to be a “picky” or “wasteful” eater.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I find foods that are ethnic have a stronger smell than traditional American foods. That’s just my nose though and it’s nothing bad. I also happen to love eating many of these “smelly” dishes.

Comment

It sounds like a page from, “mommy dearest” to me. I’d feel the same way, kris.

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies View Post
                      It sounds like a page from, “mommy dearest” to me. I’d feel the same way, kris.

It just seems really excessive to me.

Comment

Regardless of what type of food it is, it does sound extreme and I wouldn't be comfortable with it. I guess all you could say was something like you're concerned about reheating food so many times and the possibility that it could make them sick.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                        Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                        Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Sounds borderline abusive to me. Aside from the psychological effects, there is a real risk of food borne illness. If I was the school I’d use that as the reason you can’t enforce the crazy.
                          Tara
                          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Absolutely. Food can’t be reheated that many times. Dh was a food inspector before medicine, and he’s not a big fan on reheating— unless you’re reheating once and the food has been refrigerated.

I would ask the school admin to handle this though. Seems really unfair.
                            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by pollyanna View Post
                              sounds borderline abusive to me. Aside from the psychological effects, there is a real risk of food borne illness. If i was the school i’d use that as the reason you can’t enforce the crazy.
                              this!!!!
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X