Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

More on redshirting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on redshirting

My neighbor has a boy who will be 5 in the next month. They're not planning to send him to kindergarten next year, and it's driving me crazy. Now he'll be in the same class as C in 2 years, even though he's a year and a half older. So it puts C at a disadvantage because I'm following the rules and sending him on time. I get for summer birthdays and those close to the cutoff making that decision. Maybe even spring birthdays for some kids. But now we're doing it for fall birthdays too? How is this a good thing for anybody?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Wow. That seems a bit over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

I really want to say something. I've tried sort of joking with responses like he'll be so old, but I don't know. It really bothers me. She says it's because her 2 older girls say they have fall birthdays and they're the youngest in their classes, but I'm not sure I really buy that.

Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Ugh. That does sound extreme. I redshirted K2 (born in June) because everyone in our district holds back boys born in the summer and some even if their boys are born in April or May. I was afraid that if I didn’t, K2 would be in classes with boys the same age as his older brother (18 months older). It has worked out well for us and, given that K2 is neither the oldest or youngest in his class, I’m sure I made the right decision for him.

However, perhaps your neighbor’s son has a developmental delay that she hasn’t shared with you? Surely she has considered her decision very carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

More on redshirting

This has always been my problem with it. I think school districts should make a policy and stick to it. Because once they allow parents to just decide whatever they want, there will always be people who are like “if older is better, I’m going to push to be 100% sure my kid is the oldest”.

That child will graduate high school at 19.5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Don’t most districts require kids in their boundaries to either be enrolled or be a declared home schooler by age 7 or 8? It’s not like this kid is going to be a 12 y/o kindergartener or something.

What works for other families isn’t really my concern. Waiting until 8 would have been a bad idea for all of our kids, but some of our kids were ready for school earlier than others.

Try not to sweat the decisions of other families. It’s hard to gauge what’s going on when you’re not in their household.

Comment

That is just ridiculous! He will be almost 7 starting K! I was worried because C is the oldest in his K class (he turns 6 next week). CT has a January cut off so there are 4 year olds in his class. They will either do K here then transfer to public school to repeat or repeat it here.
                I agree, they have to draw a line somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

That’s super common here. Honestly I don’t blame parents. The kinder curriculum is just not developmentally appropriate for most children. I think if they built back in more recess, creative play, rest time, less testing, etc you’d see less parents in these odd months red shirting. But yep, especially in WilCo, this is the norm I would say.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

In our district that wouldn't be allowed without a lot of testing and paperwork. The parent's can't just decide to send their kid that late.

Also, red shirting is no big deal while "holding a kid back" (which is what those parents are doing) is considered very different socially. Where I live kid would likely get some feedback from his classmates that was less than positive when the kids find out how old he is. In sports, he'd have to play with kids who had similar birthdays.

Weird situation.
                    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                      Ugh. That does sound extreme. I redshirted K2 (born in June) because everyone in our district holds back boys born in the summer and some even if their boys are born in April or May. I was afraid that if I didn’t, K2 would be in classes with boys the same age as his older brother (18 months older). It has worked out well for us and, given that K2 is neither the oldest or youngest in his class, I’m sure I made the right decision for him.

However, perhaps your neighbor’s son has a developmental delay that she hasn’t shared with you? Surely she has considered her decision very carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      It's possible, but she's generally pretty open about things and hasn't mentioned any delays, just doesn't want him to be the youngest.

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                      That’s super common here. Honestly I don’t blame parents. The kinder curriculum is just not developmentally appropriate for most children. I think if they built back in more recess, creative play, rest time, less testing, etc you’d see less parents in these odd months red shirting. But yep, especially in WilCo, this is the norm I would say.
                      I haven't seen it so far - all of the kids I've met are appropriate ages. I haven't found the kinder curriculum to be that bad either - they have recess twice a day, plus rest time every day, plus PE twice a week. Homework is fairly minimal too, and not actually required.

Comment

I haven't seen it so far - all of the kids I've met are appropriate ages. I haven't found the kinder curriculum to be that bad either - they have recess twice a day, plus rest time every day, plus PE twice a week. Homework is fairly minimal too, and not actually required.
                        Well that gives me some hope for next year in TN. Here there is one 30 minute recess and no rest time. They do a good job of trying to keep the kids engaged, but it is definitely a lot.
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yes, here there is one 30 min recess, no rest time, and PE once a week. That actually sounds pretty good!
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Here's the daily schedule for her class.

Comment

Working...
                            X