Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends

DS is struggling. His best friend since kindergarten moved last semester. Fortunately, he's still close enough they can have sleepovers and hang out, but DS is just lonely at school. This is the last year they get recess, and he's sad about not getting to enjoy it. I know this is temporary, and things will get better, but I also had several best friends move away throughout elementary school, so my empathy is through the roof for him right now. For the time being, he's playing with a kid who annoys him, but at least it's better than not having someone to hang out with. I told him that a lot of people move after the new year, so he should watch for and make friends with any new kids.

We started having him see a therapist in the fall for depression. She does play therapy, and he loves going, but I'm not sure what real effects we will see. He wasn't acting out or anything, so we're not trying to change behaviors, just internal thought processes. I also feel like every session ends in me getting the assignment to plan another playdate for him and his friend, but we are busy lol. His mom and I are doing our best to get them together whenever we can.
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Friends

I hate this for you so much. Zoe is going through that this year. She finally found a new bff and she is moving away at the end of the school year.

If you aren’t seeing improvements with play therapy, I’d make an appointment to see the therapist and talk about what areas are still of concern. You should be getting other homework assignments, like looking into an activity he can join.

Hugs mama

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm sorry to hear this is an issue :/ He's such a sweet kid. I remember how high the anxiety around friendships in grade school can be. Somehow it just seemed so much easier in college and beyond. He's not quite there yet, but my brothers said a lot of their social time as kids was actually playing XBOX live game with their friends. They recently told me they were always frustrated with my parents because they would insist they needed to "go outside and play with their friends" instead of gaming, but the big social scene WAS gaming. (On that note, I started letting #2 play (non-online) video games. It was kind of inevitable)
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yes, he's definitely already a gamer! He's not to the point of having an online community yet, but I think that will help. His friend who moved also plays a lot of video games, so once they figure out how to sync up, they'll get to talk more often. (Right now, I don't think they play any games that can be played together.)
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Friends

Aidan and his friends have gamed online for years. They even help each other with homework while gaming. Zoe is a gamer now too. She plays social games. This summer, we are driving to Iowa to meet a girl she has been friends with online for two years. The mom and I are arranging it.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
          X