Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Similar to my other GAAAH thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similar to my other GAAAH thread...

Of course. It has to do with Kate and her homework issues. She has 7 classes. I am sure that the teachers tell the kids about the homework assignments. I am certain of this. But now, they don't do any handouts for explainning how to do assignments, they just "update their online account" so that the kids (read, the parents) can go online, print the crap up, and get on our kids to do their stuff. Well, that's not happening. I do go on line, every day, for a long time. And I try to figure out what is going on, but I figure Kate should be the expert on what's going on in her own classes. Every time I ask her about what appears to be a big assignment, she's very vague. I think that she doesnt' understand, is too shy to ask the teachers, and so chooses to ignore the situation. Which will blow up in her face, as it is doing right now. Apparently there is a big assignment due today, that she was supposed to have been working on over the 3 day weekend. But she didn't do it. Not at all. And I was totally slammed this weekend, so that I couldn't get on line to check all her crap.

So, besides the rant, is there anything any of you has done that has helped these kids get organized? And to get her to ask her teachers for clarification on assignments or what not? This particular one is really bad- some type of power point thing, but there's not info about what the power point is supposed to be about, or what is supposed to be done, just some links to power point presentations from past years. It really sucks. I'm sure there must be some type of a handout in her room somewhere. She'll probably find it under soccer cleats.

I am seriously so frustrated. I feel like pulling her from this "magnet" school which requires extra work Since she is not paying attention at school and I don't necessarily have all the time to just track down all her teachers and what not to see what she's supposed to be doing. I just want to give up, and let her fall thru the cracks in the system.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Re: Similar to my other GAAAH thread...

Peggy, don't give up! Big hugs. Please don't let her fall through the cracks. Some kids just need more nuturing.

Have you considered getting her a Big Sister? I know that a friend of mine was a big brother in the program and made a big difference in the boy's life who he took on. Having a cool high school girl to hang out with and do homework might be inspirational and even a resource to ask for clarification on work. They screen the kids well too.
    http://www.bbbs.org/site/c.diJKKYPLJvH/ ... mation.htm

Comment

Peggy,

We're going through that with Andrew's school too....the whole "check your email, print out the assignment" thing is just a bit weird.....and....it is a bit beyond them right now.

I did buy him a planner which has helped a little.

The other thing I did was get him (and Amanda) one of those accordion style folder thingies to take with them. They shove every paper imaginable in there and at least when we go through them we can sort of figure some things out.

The other suggestion I have is to email each of the teachers each day with "what is Kate's assignment today" or whatever.....they will usually answer....

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I did email the power point teacher, and she emailed back that Kate wasn't in that group. What? Nowhere on the class page did it say that there were two groups. I asked Kate, and she said that all the kids are confused. Plus they have had a sub, but the assignment/due dates don't get changed...

Anyway.... It is really frustrating. She will probably catch her groove at some point, she finally did last year, but... I think an accordian file is a great idea. So she can scoop up all the random papers in her locker and sort through them at home. They don't have time to do anything at their lockers because of the hallway problems, so if they are lingering, say after school, they will get written up.

Middle school was so much easier the first time I did it...
        Peggy

Comment

Maybe you could set up a conference with her homeroom teacher to help sort out the organization issues. I think the teachers need to clue you in to what they are expecting re: the computer help at home. Also, they need to be aware that the kids are confused. Cut out the middle man. I think an in person conference is harder to brush off than an email or phone call.

I know that kids here that are in the pull out gifted program have been brought to tears by confusion over assignments from different teachers and lack of communication about expectations. That's just silly. The school/teachers need to address expectations clearly. I'd be up at the school. You (and your daughter) need some clear guidelines and a better system.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

They want us to go through the Magnet coordinator. Kate went to a special organizational program run by her last week- 2 days after school. Apparently it hasn't kicked in. Anyway, they are ending the first quarter, and so I'm waiting to see results. This is multifactorial- she is distracted by boys, new friends, and just figuring out that she has to do homework for once in her life.

I am getting good responses by harrassing the teachers' emails. They sometimes get snarky with me, but so far nothing needing me and my lovely little kids to come into the school to sort it all out.... It is also waking kate up to know that I am emailing her teachers now. That is mega-embarassing, and so I'm hopint that she connects the dots...

(do my homework, get a decent grade, no emailing to teachers....)
            Peggy

Comment

Working...
            X