Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

fashion help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fashion help!

Kate has an 8th grade graduation ceremony coming up (don't get me started on how utterly stupid I think it is to have an 8th grade graduation, but anyway, since they do it for Kindergarten and Fifth grade, I think it's here to stay.) After the big ceremony, there is a dance for the 8th graders and it's semiformal.

So annoying.

She has friends who have been "asked" to this dance by their "boyfriend" and so they are going as a "couple". Kate's current boyfriend is in 7th grade, so he can't go to the dance. And no way in hell would I let her go as a "couple" to an 8th grade dance. Give me a flippin break. They are 13 and 14 year olds...

Anyway, the dance is "semiformal" so of course she and her friends have been shopping for prom dresses. But Kate's budget is $30!!! (It's her budget-- she thinks that a huge amount of $$ to spend on something she'll probably only wear one time!!)

What would you imagine a semiformal dress for an 8th grader would be? I have no idea...
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

We saw some adorable 12-13 year old girls last weekend. For the most part, they were wearing party dresses. Short with empire waists and full/a-line skirts. Lots of sparkle and chiffon.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Peggy, I am in complete agreement about the "graduations" from kinder, 5th, and 8th grades. Seriously, the entire practice is just stupid and unnecessary. Some parents bring huge gifts, rent limos, throw parties, etc. Dh and I always look at each other and ask, "so are their kids done with school now?" We expect our kids to move on from those grades, maybe our expectations are too high . Anyway, the picture attached is what dd wore to her 8th grade dance and graduation.

Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think the dress that Tara's daughter is wearing is darling and perfect for such an occasion. And I agree with you all on the graduations. I was at my brother's 6th grade graduation last summer [my parents didn't make a big deal of it because they feel the same] and I was amazed by some of the parents and their extravagant gifts and displays of celebration. Hello are we not supposed to go through 12th grade!?! They'll be girls dressed for the prom, but they'll also be girls dressed "normal" and like what 8th grade girls should dress like. I always had "simple" dresses for such occasions due to finances growing up and I never felt awkward or left out. I also never liked all that froo froo la la stuff.

Comment

That's a very cute dress!
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Working...
          X