Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Blackout in a can--energy alcohol drinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackout in a can--energy alcohol drinks

I'm sure I'm dating myself here, but I had no idea. This stuff just didn't exist when I was in college. This article discusses the dangers of energy alcoholic drinks. It's definitely a good read for parents and something to discuss with your kids.

http://www.parade.com/health/2011/06...-epidemic.html

Two interesting blurbs:

"The caffeine blocks the part of alcohol that makes you sleepy and might otherwise cause you to pass out. This enables you to drink far more than you might have. By the time many of these kids get to the hospital, they have to be put temporarily on respirators because of depressed breathing."

Binge in a can: One 23.5 ounce can of Blast malt beverage may contain the same amount of alcohol as 4.7 12-ounce beers. These types of beverages cost around $3 per can.
    -Ladybug

I thought they had gotten rid of these? UGH!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

From what I gather, some states have banned the sale of drinks that mix caffeine and alcohol, but that doesn't keep kids from mixing them themselves, of course.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
        I thought they had gotten rid of these? UGH!
        I think the caffeine has been officially pulled, but kids are still mixing red bull, etc. with their alcohol. Something to aggressively discuss with your kids. Scary. The malt cans are still large with a 12% alcohol content...? I can't find any more recent data than that. Not much posted since last spring.
        -Ladybug

Comment

It scares the crap out of me, knowing the different non-drug, drug use DH sees. Bath salts are finally being made illegal in most states, but we still have seen them being sold in gas stations in OH and Indiana, where they're illegal. DH's favorite lecture to give to residents is about legal intoxicants, and they are really easy to obtain things. Basically my plan is to put my kids in a bubble after 2nd or 3rd grade.
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Bath salts....wha???

You're going to get a lot of knocks on your bubble door.
            -Ladybug

Comment

They're sold as "bath salts", but they are a drug.

Comment

Bath salts? Like Epsom Salts, and also scented ones? Like I just bought at Whole Foods in University Heights the other day? Illegal here? Really?

ETA: oooh, a euphamism. That makes a little more sense. Thanks for the clarification for us out-of-it peeps, DD.
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                  Bath salts? Like Epsom Salts, and also scented ones? Like I just bought at Whole Foods in University Heights the other day? Illegal here? Really?

ETA: oooh, a euphamism. That makes a little more sense. Thanks for the clarification for us out-of-it peeps, DD.
                  Sorry, I am apparently to stupid to understand. Or naive. What the hell are they selling that looks like bath salts.
                  Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                    Sorry, I am apparently to stupid to understand. Or naive. What the hell are they selling that looks like bath salts.
                    Designer stimulants. Here is a fact sheet from the DEA: http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/abus...Bath_Salts.pdf
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

DH has seen some crazy things in the peds ER, one of them being kids who have been drinking Four Loko.
                      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Poky - I'm just chuckling at the fact that you thought you bought something illegal at Whole Foods. You're not going to get high from your bath!
                        -Deb
                        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                          Poky - I'm just chuckling at the fact that you thought you bought something illegal at Whole Foods. You're not going to get high from your bath!
                          I didn't think so, I was just trying to figure out how else they could be used, or what they would be an ingredient in! Was not at all sure why they'd be illegal. I did enjoy my rosemary mint bath the other night!
                          Sandy

Comment

Working...
                          X