Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College

I have many questions about this and don't want to hijack pollyanna's thread.

First---

What tests do they take and on what schedule? Dd16 took a practice PSAT. I don't know the score bc she discarded the email and I couldn't access the score thru the college board website bc they entered her name incorrectly into their system (!!!) and I had to go through about 20 emails to get it corrected. Still don't know her score. I can't get in. But, she does get a buttload of college mail (and her GPA isn't good so I know it's mostly due to PSAT).

When do they take ACT? And do the juniors take PSAT again-- then SAT as a senior?

And what about the national honor society? Is that a scam? She got "invited" to join the national honor society (based on PSAT I guess?) but it costs $70. Is this typical? I do not remember that from my day. But we didn't have Internet either, so perhaps things have changed lol.
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Hi Peggy,

My son is a junior this year. He took a practice PSAT through school as a sophomore and took it again (also through school) last fall. He is taking the SAT on May 5th and will take the ACT sometime this summer too. You will want to make sure your daughter has time to take the test twice before she applies to schools, in case she isn't happy with her scores the first time around. That's the reason for starting those tests in spring of junior year. National Honor Society.....is that through her school? I didn't think they considered anything except GPA for that. I think it is a nice thing to put on college apps if you qualify. Hope this helps!
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

NHA is not a scam, at all. Joining means access to scholarships. I don't remember ever paying to join, though.

DD1 (also 16) took the SATs in 8th grade and scored decently. I think her score was in the average range for seniors, which we didn't think was bad since they have at least 5 more years of schooling under their belts. She'll take ACT next year (junior year), and SAT again senior year.

Don't be fooled by college advertising. They send that shit out to everyone on their mailing list. They have no way know what GPAs or test scores are until students fill out apps. They're carpet bombing in an attempt to get more/better applicants.

Comment

I'm pretty sure NHS isn't a scam. I don't remember having to pay for it, but that was a long time ago... It honestly might just cover that sash they give you at graduation and the cost of the certificate... I think they also gave us a pin for our varsity letters back 100 years ago when I was in high school. I guess all that could add up to about $70. School budget cuts suck...

Comment

Yes to the above. Have her join NHS, it's one of those important feathers in their college app. Dd has to remain above a 3.8 gpa and do a certain number of volunteer and tutoring hours to stay in NHS so it really does help build their CV. Dd took the ACT and the SAT in the summer between junior and senior year with the intention of retaking in the fall if she didn't like her scores. They have so much to do senior year for college apps that it's best to get the standardized testing out of the way if at all possible. I know you are also trying to schedule your move but you might want to sign her up to take the first round before you move. It's also a good idea for her to download the Common app now and fill out a rough draft and think about the essays, it will make the application process much smoother when she has to fill out the actual Common app.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I do remember having to pay for NHS, but I got a pin and a hardback book with the names of everyone else in NHS and maybe something else too, I don't remember exactly but I'm guessing that's what the $70 is about.
            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

What tests do they take and on what schedule? Dd16 took a practice PSAT. I don't know the score bc she discarded the email and I couldn't access the score thru the college board website bc they entered her name incorrectly into their system (!!!) and I had to go through about 20 emails to get it corrected. Still don't know her score. I can't get in. But, she does get a buttload of college mail (and her GPA isn't good so I know it's mostly due to PSAT).
              When do they take ACT? And do the juniors take PSAT again-- then SAT as a senior?
              ACT & SAT: Junior and/or Senior. I do know that some tests are more popular in some states than others. In Texas it's ALL about the SAT. I never even took the ACT. Have her take both and see if she does better on one. I'd recommend some sort of prep course too--half the battle is "learning the test." You can really take the PSAT at any point--when taken as a Junior it is also the National Merit Qualifying test.

And what about the national honor society? Is that a scam? She got "invited" to join the national honor society (based on PSAT I guess?) but it costs $70. Is this typical? I do not remember that from my day. But we didn't have Internet either, so perhaps things have changed lol.
              The cost is normal and its a legit, well-known organization. It's not a bad thing to have on your application, especially if she needs a boost in a few areas.. Both DH and I "boycotted" and refused to join in high school because we thought it was stupid. I still think it is stupid. But it looks good on a application.

It's also a good idea for her to download the Common app now and fill out a rough draft and think about the essays, it will make the application process much smoother when she has to fill out the actual Common app.
              Yeah...that. I hated the Texas Common App. It was awful and buggy. I know multiple people who ended up at OU because the application was super easy to complete
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Are you sure it was National Honor Society? We got a mailing the other day from The National Society of Honor Students (or something like that) that asked for $70 to join and you could list it on your college apps. It's BS, I think. NHS requires not only GPA but also teacher nominations and is awarded through the school usually. The replaced it here with Cum Laude society because there was so much BS politicing with the teachers to get a kid in.
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I was actually wondering the same thing as Angie. Luke had to get teacher recommendations filled out (I actually filled out a few myself for some kids) and turned in by a deadline for Nat'l Honor Society, and as far as I know, there was no cost. I do remember him getting something in the mail like Angie describes last year, though. If it isn't coming directly from the school, I would say it's probably bogus.
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I'll have to look. It came from her high school--- she's moving this summer to an entirely different high school so any high school specific honor society would be better to do at the hs she will graduate from.
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                      I have many questions about this and don't want to hijack pollyanna's thread.

First---

Not sure why the folks that administer the PSAT couldn't figure things out based upon the code/ID number assigned to your DD when she registered to take the test? I know you have limited time in your day, but have you tried talking to a real person (or supervisor)? I'm amazed that they can't connect the dots based upon her registration/payment info, ID number, etc. - why all the focus on the last name if it is close and everything else is correct?

When students take the PSAT, they will receive a boatload of college brochures and letters if they select "yes" to Student Search Service (SSS). SSS is a recruitment/admissions tool that institutions of higher ed use to reach out to prospective students - they get data pools of students to sort and filter through to reach their target audience. There is a way to opt out to stop your mailboxes/inboxes from filling up with crap: http://professionals.collegeboard.co...ecruitment/sss.

With regards to the PSAT, whether or not your DD takes it again is up to you and her. Is she a good test taker or will this provoke additional anxiety? Is it worth taking it again, to then turn around and begin taking the SATs? Will the practice of a full-blown test help or is it better to stick to test prep books and question banks? If you think that your DD is looking at schools that take National Merit Scholars, then it might be worthwhile to re-take as a junior which begins the process of qualifying for the National Merit Scholarship Program (NMSP). Taking the PSAT at any point after junior year is honestly not a good use of time and energy on the student's part - colleges don't really care about the PSAT or look at it. Information on how the NMSC application works for rising HS juniors: http://www.nationalmerit.org/entering.php#when (I must add this is helpful to me too, as my sister is the same age as your DD and will be re-taking the PSAT again in the fall to qualify for the NMSP.)

The ACT, now that depends on where she is considering applying to. The ACT is primarily the "intelligence" test of choice of colleges & universities in the Midwest and West, while the East relies heavily upon SAT scores. Most institutions will accept scores from either test. Both are NOT required for admission nor do they enhance your profile. Take a long look at where she will be applying to - read their Admissions website's section on test scores, required items, etc. - sometimes they are vague as "we accept both, here are the codes" or they are very detailed like "make sure you take the ACT Writing exam or we won't accept your score and you will have to sit for the whole test again". With all of this detailed info, then you can make the best decision for the two of you. In my personal experience, I am from the East and I applied only to schools on the East Coast. I only took the SATs, I never even considered the ACTs (of course, 10+ years ago they were still up-and-coming in the test world ) I am not sure why, unless you have very detailed information on schools' admissions requirements or scholarships, why one would consider sitting for both tests. In my opinion, I feel as though as it is a waste of time, money, and energy. There are so many other things for a HS junior or senior to worry about that mean so much more in the college admissions process - extracurriculars, leadership experience, volunteerism, essay, letters of recommendation/interviews (if required), etc. Taking "intelligence" tests that mean so little in the end shouldn't be one of those things that they have to worry about. This is just my 2 cents from my experience, obviously everyone's college application/search process is unique and they should do what is in their best interest.

I will post more in a bit...
                      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Wow! This is a very informative post. Can you also tell me from where I can get MBE Practice Questions? It seems like you know a lot about these papers and I need some guidance and help in order to clear my exam with a very good score.

Comment

Working...
                        X