Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

accutane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accutane

I'm thinking of putting my tween son on Accutane because tetracylene and proactive aren't getting the job done. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this drug?
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I have a friend who used it successfully, but he said the side effects were pretty horrible and doesn't recommend it to anyone. He had trouble with mood swings, depression and dryness. Despite his warnings I tried it myself at one point and stopped after a couple days. I would wake up in the middle of the night with severe migraines. There was no way I was going to continue that for three months.

Have you checked out acne.org? The guy that runs it gives an honest overview of treatment options and came up with an effective regimen using over the counter products. I think he now sells kits made up of the components, but he's not a typical miracle cure huckster. I would definitely try that for a few months before resorting to Accutane.

Comment

Does he have a good derm or is he going to his PCP? I would take him to derm and see what they say. I am currently doing well with a benzol-peroxide/clindamycin compound. I have used Retin-A/tetracycline/benzol peroxide combo in the past, and this is doing a better job. clindamycin
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

The first time around - when I was 30 y/o, it was not bad except for the extremely dry/pealing lips...and dealing with the BCP and monthly preg tests, etc. However, the second time around, when I was 35, it became debilitating. Although there was not much research/literature at the time, my joints/muscles ached so bad. I would be so stiff in the morning, get going throughout the day but towards the evening I would actually hunch - I'd walk like an old lady. Derm never recognized such as a side effect and I had no literature to support what I was feeling. However, once the stuff got out of my system, I started feeling better. So, go figure - I have not checked the lit since then - so there may be something there now. All I know is that after that last try, I rather live with my cystic acne because the physical discomfort is not worth it IMHO.

Your son will not have to deal with the BCP/pregnancy part - So, I would monitor if the side effects become worse than the benefits. Just my 2 cents.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

STAY AWAY if your son has ANY history of depression.

(The studies are unclear on its effects in adolescents. It's not worth the risk if he's depression-prone. If he's not depression-prone and he goes on it, watch him carefully.)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
            I am currently doing well with a benzol-peroxide/clindamycin compound. I have used Retin-A/tetracycline/benzol peroxide combo in the past, and this is doing a better job. clindamycin
            I also have experience with both of these combos, and had considerable success with them.

Comment

I don't know if the dosing has changed, but I have three friends who were on it in college and ended up needing extreme liver studies in their early 30s because of concerns they had sustained liver damage. I lived in a dermatologists office through high school, and eventually found a combo of meds and topicals that really helped. I would exhaust all other options first.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Didn't Cassy use it before?
                Needs

Comment

My sister used it and it was pretty rough. She had terrible migraines--

But it worked. Her skin is really nice now. I'm jealous! I've always been the one who looks older and I'm 4 years younger!
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

This is kind of what I expected. I'm kind of thinking of even trying a series of chemical peels for him. I'm going to talk to the derm today. As always, great insight here.
                    't

Comment

My sister started taking my niece for bi-weekly facials (at her derm's suggestion, but I don't know that that's common) and it helped a lot. Her acne was probably more on the typical side for her age, rather than severe, though.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Ugh. We have tried a benzo and have now upgraded to epiduo and a low grade antibiotic. The epiduo works but he says it makes his face burn all day long and leaves his face red and splotchy. acne or splotchy? I hope this sideveffemct goes away. Anyone else found the holy grail? Dude probably wont consent to biweekly facials, FWIW.

Comment

Working...
                        X