Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

we decided to have our teens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In theory, ITA with making older kids take on more house responsibility. The 13 and 8 y.o. clean the upstairs bathrooms, vacuum, set the table, load and unload the dishwasher, and some yard work. As a result, we have broken many dishes we had to buy a new set from IKEA, chemicals have been left at a level that the preschooler can get at, the floor looks like the kids ran the vacuum over it in two swipes only, and occasionally there is crusted food on a plate when I get it out of the cabinet.

Making the kids do these chores is an ENORMOUS pita and requires more time and energy than if I actually did it myself. I freaking hate being a police officer. <Paging super nanny> I feel like I have to get them to master these chores first before I unleash them on the washer and dryer.

Like anything in life, the theory and practice of something are two entirely separate beasts. I cringe when I think about this applied to laundry.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I clearly suck as a parent. I need to teach my kids these skills.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

C had no skills. He turned out ok
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

PLEASE don't give up!!!!!!!! My children are 18, 16 and 11 and I like many of you despaired but I am now seeing fruits!!!!

When the boys were 13 and 11, I think, I decided to have them do their laundry. ( They had always put it away.) So I stood over each of them and taught them how to sort and run the machine. Then I made the oldest do some on one day and the younger one on the other day.. Only problem was that younger boy wouldn't do it in a timely fashion and it made oldest mad. So, he took it over. For the last 3 or 4 years, every Monday morning he sorts the three kids' laundry and does it all day. ( We homeschool, so they are home...well he does do dual credit on Tues/Thurs.) He piles it in the living room. In the evening, he hangs it all up. ( He refuses to let middle one help as he won't do it "right." They share all their clothes except jeans. ) My daughter has to hang her stuff up.

My middle one has actually started to do some of his own stuff occasionally. When oldest goes off to college this fall, I will teach my younger one. The only laundry I will ever do again is mine and my husband's!!!! So don't despair. It is more work at first, but it is SO worth it!!!

Comment

We are having our new machines delivered today. They have a larger capacity and super-reinforced doors!
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Is it bad that I am excited that C is nearly old enough to start teaching these life skills? I vividly remember being roughly 15 and knowing how to do most basic household cleaning tasks. Not to say that I did them well or with enthusiasm, but I knew how and was responsible for doing them. If I decided not to do laundry, then none of us had clean clothes.
              Kris

Comment

Working...
              X