Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking

Trying to get up to that 100 posts so I can see the private forums..

Don't forget to teach you children to cook! I typically did this in the summer when school and activities were less. They would look through my Taste of Home magazines or other cookbooks and find something they wanted to cook. Or they would pick a favorite that I make. Each boy would cook for one night. ( My daughter was too young at the time.. I think they were around 9 and 11 when I did this.) I did this for a couple of summers and my oldest boy really picked it up. One school year I was taking care of my disabled father and taking my girl to vision therapy and it was a really hard year. I couldn't be home on Thursday in time to get dinner ready, so he cooked every Thursday. I also had many times that year. ( I think he was 14 or 15.) when I would be called away for an emergency with my father while I was cooking dinner and I could leave him to finish up. Once again, this takes patience. ( I'm working with my 11yo girl right now!) but it is so worth it!!!!

Now if I could only teach the boys how to REALLY clean their bathrooms... I will have to apologize to their future wives.. It is so incredibly disgusting...

Yes, but I'm not sure how much I want to put out here for general consumption if that makes sense. That is what I am looking for.. a safe place to talk without fear of getting private information out where the public can see it. What do you want to know?

Comment

Lonelywife, I think you're so right. I wish my mother would've taught me to cook when I was younger, but she wasn't a great cook herself. I had to teach myself in my early 20s. Fortunately I had a string of friends and roommates who were real foodies! Now my husband and I love to cook together. I really look forward to feeding my future kids foods that I love and teaching them to cook as a family.
      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I still remember when my sister came to visit me in college. I tried to fry chicken for the first time. It was burned on the outside and raw on the inside. I microwaved it and it was inedible. We went out!!!

I've had some doozies. I once tried a healthy orange chicken recipe that tasted like you poured that triaminic syrup on it. YUCK!!!! But that is what I tell my kids. You win some and you lose some. I still try new recipes. some work and some don't. It is ok!!!!

Comment

Haha, I still feel like I'm learning to cook and I'm in my early thirties! Just like MSB, I had always wished my mom had taught me but she wasn't much of a cook either. Actually one of my NYE resolutions this year was to learn to cook more/better. Lucky for me I have a new friend who is constantly on Pinterest trying new recipes and passing the keepers onto me.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Our two oldest like cooking. We occasionally allow them to do an entire dinner, start to finish. They hunt down their own recipes (from my eleventy-billion cookbooks), make me a shopping list, and then make/clean up everything. They've just finally begun learning about timing and when you should begin each dish depending on how long it will take to make.

They started out watching me cook and then moved to making breakfasts. They can make eggs, pancakes, and waffles like champs.

DD1 is more adventurous with her cooking. Being a vegetarian, she likes to experiment with spices and textures.

Comment

When we were old enough to cook (I am one of three) my mom started giving us each a night to cook dinner. We could cook the same thing every week as long as we cooked on our night. When you get tired of having pasta every thursday, you start to experiment and try more things. My mom is a great cook and I try and try to learn from her and anyone else who can cook. I wish I was a better cook. I do my best and I think I am beginning to realize how important the ingredients are. I grew up with kosher meat and its a whole different ballgame cooking with whatever meat you pick up at the grocery store. I also grew up only using fresh garlic so I pretty much cant stand the powdered stuff.
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

DH's mom made a pretty cool recipe scrapbook of old family favorites that the kids love perusing when they want to experiment. They also like rummaging through my grandmother's cookbooks and recipe box. They get a kick out of finding old recipes with weird ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                  DH's mom made a pretty cool recipe scrapbook of old family favorites that the kids love perusing when they want to experiment. They also like rummaging through my grandmother's cookbooks and recipe box. They get a kick out of finding old recipes with weird ingredients.
                  my mom did this too and then this past December I just did this too with all the recipes I have added to my collection over the past 5 years. I made copies for both my sisters. I am always finding new recipes and if they get made more than once they get printed and put in the binder.
                  -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                  Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                  Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I wish my mil taught dh how to cook. Anything, even something as easy as boiling water, and he freezes up like a deer in headlights. I always cooked with my grandma and assisted my mom with shopping, prep and cooking, so it was never something foreign to me.
                    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Working...
                    X