Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How would you feel about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you feel about this?

Alex(16) hasn't had a phone in ~8 months. His virgin mobile prepaid iPhone 4 broke and virgin mobile stopped selling them. We offered him an Android for his 16th bday but he was hooked on the idea of an iPhone.

He teaches 4 kung fu classes without being paid, and his kung fu master recently tried to get in touch with him. She asked for his cell phone # and I simply said that he did not have a cell phone right now.

Yesterday after he taught 2 classes and took 1, she pulled him aside and handed him an Apple bag with a new iPhone 5s in it. She had received it as a gift when she was in China this summer and had no use for it. She gave it to him "as payment".

Obviously, he had to restrain himself from doing cartwheels. He and dh set it up and it is working.

I'm freakishly uncomfortable with this. I don't know how to handle it.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Eh. It seems reasonable to me. It was free to her, he's been helping her out, she wanted to give it to him. She probably should have asked if there was a REASON he didn't have a phone, in case it was because you didn't want him to for some reason, but luckily that wasn't the case. It was a little presumptuous, and very generous, even given that she got it for free, but not so much it's a huge problem, I don't think.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I do not think it is an issue that she gave him the phone for the same reasons that Sandy mentioned. However, I do think she should have asked you and Thomas first. There may have been a reason why you two did not give him a phone and she just set you up to be the bad guys - ya know? In this case, I think it is ok.
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
        Eh. It seems reasonable to me. It was free to her, he's been helping her out, she wanted to give it to him. She probably should have asked if there was a REASON he didn't have a phone, in case it was because you didn't want him to for some reason, but luckily that wasn't the case. It was a little presumptuous, and very generous, even given that she got it for free, but not so much it's a huge problem, I don't think.
        Yup I would never gift something like that to a kid without talking to mom or dad first, but otherwise, it's pretty reasonable.
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I agree with everybody else. Can he use it prepaid, or does it have to be on a plan? Because a plan costs money that you or he may not have.
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else. Did she inquire if he could pay for a plan?
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

He just came home with it. We were able to set it up as pay-as-you-go. Dh won't put the kids on our plans.

Comment

Wow, very generous of her. Honestly though, I would just feel uncomfortable about the whole thing. I really wish she had discussed it with you first before the cat was out of the bag.
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

He teaches 4 classes a week? Is this part of his belt training? I know for Tkd we had student teachers in there but they were paid after they were a 2nd Dan belt or whatever the term is.

Anyway I agree with the others- I hope he takes good care of it!!! Did he get an otterbox or a sturdy case?
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

This is not part of his belt training. The kung fu master uses her older kids to teach the younger kids. Alex went from teaching 2 to 4 classes this year. It is an honor to be asked to teach. It's unpaid.

I'm thinking of writing her a nice letter. I just don't know how to handle it.

Comment

Working...
                    X