Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Getting kids to slow down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting kids to slow down

Zoe won the lightning award last year at school for fast and accurate work. She is speedy Gonzalez. This year, it’s not working for her. She rushes quickly and is not retaining information. She has a D in English and a C in German. I’ve tried removing technology during study time, but all study aids are on her school iPad. I’ve tried setting a timer but she just can’t slow down. How can I help her? She is very sensitive to perceived criticism.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Could you convince her to try an experiment? Round 1, she does it her way (and you check the 10 problems or whatever). Round 2, you ask her to double check each problem (or whatever applies to the assignment) and make any corrections. You can demonstrate to her that checking doesn't take that long but it really improves the quality of your work.

Would a teacher speaking to her be better rather than you? Or a guidance counselor?

It's kinda crappy to reward kids for speed because it encourages this exact problem.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

This is a good idea. I’ll adapt it for learning vocabulary. Every time I study with her she asks me how long it will take in minutes. I tell her until she knows the information. She tells me I’m making her feel bad about herself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
        Could you convince her to try an experiment? Round 1, she does it her way (and you check the 10 problems or whatever). Round 2, you ask her to double check each problem (or whatever applies to the assignment) and make any corrections. You can demonstrate to her that checking doesn't take that long but it really improves the quality of your work.

Would a teacher speaking to her be better rather than you? Or a guidance counselor?

It's kinda crappy to reward kids for speed because it encourages this exact problem.
        I agree a teacher might keep you out of it. I agree rewarding a kid for speed seems like an idea that could backfire.....

Comment

Working...
        X