Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Foreign exchange programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign exchange programs

Did anyone go as a teen or has someone sent a teen? Aidan will be 15/16 when he is in Austria. I’m a little nervous.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I did a student exchange in Graz, Austria, when I was a senior in high school. I lived over there for about a month (maybe a little more) and my host lived with us the same length of time. It really pushed me out of my comfort zone (I was very very homesick), but I pushed through and now in hindsight I’m really glad I did it.

I also did a summer study abroad in Madrid, Spain when I was in college. I probably got less out of that because we pretty much spent the whole time partying, but overall still a great learning experience.

Comment

Fun! Aidan will be going for a year, which just seems awfully long to me. I wish they had a shorter program!

Comment

Is there any chance you can go visit him while he's there? Does he know yet where he'll be in Austria? Will he be with a host family, or in a dorm?

Comment

I'm faculty lead study abroad for a major university. We send hundreds of teens/early twenties students every year. I've never worked with school kids though.

Comment

I did when I was 18/19 and it was kind of a disaster. But the whole thing was that I was prohibited from contacting my family more than once a month, we had no computer/internet/cell phones, I was in Mexico in a very regressive society for girls/women, and my host family had a financial interest to keep me in their home but they were not nice people. I had a host sister who was my saving grace, but she only wanted to practice HER English so I didn't even get the benefit of language immersion. And then I had the public school where I was placed with 14/15 year old kids, which was just so ridiculous.

But I survived. I did. I grew, but I think it was overall not a positive experience. (Sorry, not what you want to hear.)

And I think the world is so much of a smaller place now, with the internet and your familiarity with Europe.

Absolutely go travel to visit him, and let him know (I wish my parents had) that if he wants to bail, he can. After about 4 months of being there I was so depressed and I asked my parents if I could go home, and the host family really wanted me to stay bc they were getting $ for it, but my parents wouldn't let me come home. I wasn't even earning credits or anything. I should have just bought my own ticket!!!

Anyway- young girl in mexico is not the same as adventurous and cool-guy american in Austria! So I'm sure he'll have a better experience, but really I would encourage you to just make clear to him that he has a ticket home whenever he needs, for whatever reason. (((Hugs)))
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Peggy is WISE!!!!
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Meenah View Post
                Peggy is WISE!!!!
                Oh I wish I didn’t have this wisdom lol!
                Peggy

Comment

Thanks Peggy. The program is pretty regimented. The kids meet with program leaders once a week. Hopefully that will help.

I do know of one girl who is there this year that was paired with a family that has unicorns all over their house. She described them as very “weird” and has not enjoyed her experience. Hopefully Aidan gets lucky.

Kris

Comment

Oh lol- that is strange.

Is he excited?
                    Peggy

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                      Oh lol- that is strange.

Is he excited?
                      More like terrified. 😂

Comment

He seems more accepting and curious about going. He keeps practicing his German. I hope he is fluent when he gets back. I am going to have daily panic attacks when he is gone!

Comment

I spent a year in Germany when I was a senior in high school. I was 17 when I left. I applied for college when I was there, which was before apps were online. It was crazy, and I had to fax my essays over, I believe.

I’m still in touch with my host family, and they are my second set of parents whom I love dearly. And they’re also the reason I’m fluent in German. They were patient and loving. But tough as nails, because they knew the goal was for me to learn German. We spoke entirely in English for the first month I was with them, and then it was German only from then on! Even when I didn’t understand, they would explain 1000 different ways until I understood.
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I just read Peggy’s experience. Eeeps! My exchange program strongly discouraged parents from visiting, I think primarily because it would have been difficult for family dynamics.

My host parents were my parents that year. Helping me through colds, homesickness, disciplining me when I came home late or left a mess, buying me a winter coat (I didn’t have a thick enough one for German winters). I think it would have been awkward to have my parents there. I see my host parents whenever I visit Germany. It’s super important to me that my kids know them, because these people were just so good to me. I was very lucky. I hope the same for Aidan.

Comment

How’s he doing??

Comment

Working...
                              X