Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Teenagers. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenagers. Why?

I’m just so over my children that I can’t think straight. Why are they lovely human beings until they turn 15? It’s like at 15, a flip switches and I don’t recognize them anymore.

Aidan turned 15 in November. He was my straight A kid. Now it’s all B’s because he doesn’t turn in homework and doesn’t care anymore. He was thrilled about going on this exchange program to Melk. Now he is refusing to go. Refusing. I don’t think we can get the 2k back we invested and don’t even know if we can back out. He is emphatic that he will not be going. There is no talking to him.

Im very disappointed and frustrated. It’s like the older three all over again. I cannot go through this with Zoe. I have done everything “right”. I feel like now I should have given them less. Fewer activities, rides, trips to movies, vacations... maybe if they actually had had to want for something they would appreciate what they have more.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Ugh. That sucks.

It is such a difficult process!
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I'm so sorry. Did something happen, does he say why he won't go?
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I don’t know. I think it turned into a lot of work. The Visa application was pages long. He’s nervous and burned out by school projects. I’m trying to be laid back about it all now. I think my getting upset upset him more.

Kris

Comment

Parenting teenagers is HARD!
          Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

He officially dropped out. I’m so disappointed.

Comment

Oh no. The program director called me and told me if Aidan drops out, the program shuts down and no one goes. They don’t have enough people. Why is it always my kid making problems. Sigh.

Kris

Comment

Ouch! Bribe him!!!
                Luanne

Comment

Originally posted by Meenah View Post
                  Ouch! Bribe him!!!
                  I sat him down very calmly and explained that if he dropped out the program would fold this year. At first he didn’t believe me. Once he grasped it, he said he couldn’t let that happen to the others who are counting on going. I watched him change from not going to going in front of my eyes. I’ve backed off a bit but talk to him like he’s going. He has started thinking about what he needs: laptop, camera, new clothes and shoes. I’m just hoping he stays on this path.

The program director said he will personally pick a good family for him. Hope that’s true.

Kris

Comment

Aidan is looking forward to the trip. I think he just needed a push. I told him he can’t run around his host family’s house in his underwear like he does here, so he asked me to buy him a toga. Lol.

Kris

Comment

Working...
                    X