Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

college facebook groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• college facebook groups

So apparently this is a thing where parents of students at a university have a FB group? I am just finding out now by happenstance (baby boy is a college sophomore). I am going to try not to be too judgy, but what the actual hell. Putting on my best southern drawl, teasing my hair high, and sitting on the front porch with my eyebrows raised a la Steel Magnolias or a Miranda Lambert video.

Besides, this is the internet where faux outrage over inconsequential things is our birthright. Amiright? Indulge me in a little Friday night shadenfreunde....

So, I joined. I read. My mind is blown. There are SEVERAL I could cull from but here is a gem of a paraphrased actual post: "My college student _____ in _____ hall is having a hard time making friends. I had a pizza delivered to the study lounge. Join her there for free pizza!" OMFG. Am I reading this right? Is Mommy making little Susie a playdate from another city by asking other mommies and daddies if their little pumpkin can play?

FACT: All of us Gen X need to STFU about our complaints about Millenials and Gen Z. If they're incompetent it is because we made them that way.

Holy shit. I can't help myself....I'm off to read more...I really need to quit the internet for good.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

My jaw literally dropped when I read that. I can’t imagine that the students are happy about this either. I would have died of embarrassment. Heck, my 4th grader might have died of embarrassment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Yup, a recent development in the last few years. Student groups (like a group for incoming freshmen or transfers) have been around for awhile, but from what I can gather, parent groups are a new thing. I had heard, peripherally, that the parent group participants were overly involved before and during move-in, but I didn’t realize that it extended that far into the semester. Wowza. 😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

These kinds of groups can be really helpful for sharing info, but the sheer volume of helicoptering they sometimes facilitate is bananas.

I’ve watched parents throw hissy fits over their kids not being handled with kid gloves so many times. Dude, there’s 40,000 students on campus. Your kid didn’t do the bare minimum and no one else is to blame for them fucking up. Let them fuck up where there’s the safety net of dorms, meal plans, and RAs under them so they can learn from it. Help them figure out how to navigate fixing the problem, but FFS don’t swoop in and fix it for them.

Comment

I’ve known about the fb groups for incoming freshmen, but I haven’t ever thought to look for parent groups. Not really interested in observing more dysfunction than I already have to!!

Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Lol...

I almost can’t help myself. (My karma points are depleting) I’m into full on petty reading at this point. I am not ashamed of my small minded entertainment 🤪

Apparently parents can use the Kroger app to deliver groceries from the Kroger in town to the dorm. 😮

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
              Lol...

I almost can’t help myself. (My karma points are depleting) I’m into full on petty reading at this point. I am not ashamed of my small minded entertainment 🤪

Apparently parents can use the Kroger app to deliver groceries from the Kroger in town to the dorm. 😮

Carry on.
              Or, their adult child can use the Kroger app to have groceries delivered (which would have been awesome when I was in college and had to sit on two different city buses for an hour and then schlep back only whatever groceries I could carry). Seriously. I hope I’m not that mom.

Comment

[MENTION=792]houseelf[/MENTION] you need to post some of this stuff so we can be appalled along with you.

Comment

college facebook groups

I’d stoop to anything to get friends for Andrew, tbh. It’s ridiculous but I get it. I’ve also used amazon to send groceries to Alex on one occasion. Laugh away.

Kris

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I don't think anyone is laughing at you, Kris.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
                      I don't think anyone is laughing at you, Kris.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                      Thanks

Comment

These are mostly neurotypical kids that they’re talking about. Neurodivergent kids are a whole different kettle of fish.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                          These are mostly neurotypical kids that they’re talking about. Neurodivergent kids are a whole different kettle of fish.
                          Yup. I just get how it happens

Comment

Honestly if I admitted the craziest stuff I’ve done, it wouldn’t be pretty. Recently I had a meeting with coaches that could have been one of those stupid dance mom reality shows...all parties went off the rails in a manner no grown ass adult should. It would be easy to say the coaches were over the top, but damnit if I didn’t sink to their level and throw it back. Holy shit that’s next level crazy.

Nonetheless, I certainly would not admit THAT on my neighborhood FB page though where I will interact with people IRL. Here? Criminey, I practically post inappropriate photos of weird shot on my body asking if I should get it checked out. Yes, yes it’s not anonymous here either, but much less relevant to our daily lives. Who really cares that someone you know on the internet lost her mind for a bit?

Any of these instances I wrote about from this website are explainable. From the offset I admitted that I shamelessly was indulging in our national past time of being an a$$ on the internet for a cheap unfulfilling dose of entertainment.

To be fair most of the posts on that page are somewhat reasonable...”my kid needs Sone interim bloodwork and testing and local hospital doesn’t take my out-of-state insurance on non emergency basis, anyone know nearest hospital that does?” Or “what’s a RELIABLE body shop nearby?” Those are tricky areas where going above normal rank makes sense. Lots of money and time is on the line and you can save a ton of hassle by co-facilitating an issue with your adult kid in real time.

Then there l are the posts that we can all relate to..,”I’m struggling with the empty nest”. or “my kid is struggling and it’s hard to parent them through this...this is harder than I thought” . God knows we’ve all been there.

I was just offering a smattering of the more salacious posts for entertainment. I’m the first to admit that parenting is not for the faint of heart and we all need to be kinder and gentler with one another. At the same time, I think that our generation (myself included) needs to back way off when we can. We’re not doing any favors.

Comment

Of the four colleges our kiddos have attended only Alabama has a parent Facebook group. Or at least an active group. There is always the standard, “there must be mold in the dorms because my kid is sick“ freak out at the beginning of the year and some other silliness but man, this group of parents are so amazing. Once your part of the Bamily folks come out of the woodwork to help your kid if needed. I’ve seen parents go sit in emergency rooms, take sick students to the doctor, bring a depressed student food and some love, build a coalition of support for a family that lost a child, pick up a child on the highway who’s car broke down, take in a stranded student or family, and the list goes on. These are all strangers that happily step up when mom or dad can’t be there. If you want to see hope in humanity, these people are it. Seriously it’s amazing. I wish the other colleges are kiddos attend had this type of support.
                              Tara
                              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                              X