Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

wood floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we use the Orange Glo Wood Floor Cleaner. I will have to check into the Method, as I use some of their other products for cleaning.

I vacuum once a week, love doing it now that I have my Miele. About every two weeks or lately once a month, I get on my hands and knees with a microfiber cloth and the wood cleaner and deep clean my floors.

We were told not to use water on hardwood floors as it damages the wood.
    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Crystal is right- there are some brands of floors, especially newer floors with the newer finishes that have specfic instructions for what to use. My parents were told under no circumstances were they to use anything other than a lightly damp mop at MOST. no soaps, cleaners, sprays, etc.

We have 100 year old floors that look it. I'd guess they may have been refinished once. The cork floor I wipe down and the newer oak floor I wipe up- the ancient floors need all the help I can give them.

Having the floors refinished is on the list of projects...but in the meantime, the Method gets up the ick.

Jenn

Comment

Use the Murphys if you like it! I think it leaves a residue and after my mom got her floors refinished the floor guy said not to use that. I'll try to remember to ask her what he suggested.

I love the Mrs Meyers stuff. Pricey but smells sooo nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
          It's in our grocery store. I really do love that place. They carry trendy things along side the regular stuff.

But I spend too much money on groceries shopping there.

There's a website. http://www.mrsmeyers.com
          Do you go to Heinens? I'm surprised that the self-described spend-thrift uses Mrs. Meyers! Whenever I see it I tell myself I can use it when I grow up.

Comment

Well....I clean rarely so I can stretch it. :>

I try to do natural products, by DH objects. He says they don't work. Interestingly, if they smell good enough, he thinks they do. So, I guess I'm spending more to save the earth. And I do clean rarely honestly. I think dirt is good for you. :> And.....I hate it.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
              I think dirt is good for you. :> And.....I hate it.
              My dh says "that's what stomach acid is for!" (re: dirt, not cleaning).

sorry to give you a hard time Angie. You guys are further out that we are, and when we can bank $, I'll be buying the Mrs. Meyers, too. I used the green dude for a reason -- I'm just jealous.

Comment

It is Heinen's BTW.....that place is just sucking the money out of me, though. I may have to give it up...and go Giant Eagle. *sigh* Then I won't be tempted by Mrs. Meyer's Lemon Verbana. Or the Lavender. Or the Geranium.
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I have one Mrs. Meyer's product -- the lavender stainless steel cleaner. *gasp* It makes me want to clean just to smell it.

Comment

I was never a big Heinens shopper - but we were in training. I loved Giant Eagle b/c of the Iggles Nest -- but your kids are too old for that to be a draw for you.

You can always get your Mrs. Meyers at Restoration Hardware.

Comment

I second or third the Method recommendation. Works great and I love the almond scent. I use it the same way as Jenn and also follow up with a dry cloth. I think the Method cleaner is for no-wax floors only.

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with the mop. I notice that those mops that have long stringy hairy things don't really clean well. I mean, if you think about it, you can only put real pressure (elbow grease) on one point (where it all comes together at the bottom of the handle). I'm all for those sponge-type mops that fold in half and squeeze the water out.

I also have a wetjet but I only use it for quick cleans (like cat puke basically). It doesn't do a deep clean.

Comment

Working...
                        X