Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Warmth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmth

What temp do you keep your thermostat set at in the winter? I am tired of freezing ... but I really don't want to turn the heat up. It's already at 68, it's a new house (although I'd like to get more insulation blown in next year), I'm wearing slippers ... and I'm FREEZING!

We have it at 68 during the day and 64 at night. Our crawl space is not well insulated and slippers or wool socks are a must. If it is an especially humid or rainy day, I bump it up to 69 which seems so much warmer.

<<shiver>>

Comment

We have ours programmed to 68 but our windows suck and I'm always cold so I usually end up increasing it to 70. With that said though the temp is usually closer to 68 when I have it set at 70. Have you tried putting an independent thermometer in the area of the house you use the most to see what the temp really is?

We just added one around Christmas and it has shown us how the house is actually colder then the thermostat reads.

I also read that a higher humidity house will feel warmer but then we have condensation/ice situations on the inside of our windows so our house is fairly "dry" though we don't really notice.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I *hate* being cold, so I keep my thermostat at 73 when I'm there and 69 when I'm at work. Luckily, I live on the third floor and my apartment isn't all that big, so I can afford to do that. But I also have a space heater... (and a second one for the office.)

I don't do cold.

Comment

We live in a super old building. An old hotel from the early 1900s.

It's steam heat. I don't control it and I don't pay for it. My indoor thermometer says 75 degrees (outside we're just barely in double digits today), so we leave a window open overnight. Seems like such a waste...
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We keep it at 68 in the areas we are using -- and off in the others. They people that owned the house before us had it zoned into 6 heating zones. That's what you do if you are a retired couple living in a 5 bedroom house, I guess.

During the recent cold snap, I went around and cranked all the heaters to 73. I was $%#& freezing. I turned them down later. I snapped!

Usually, I wear a fleece jacket in the house and we use our wood stove every day to keep the family room warm. 68 in the kitchen and bedrooms. I wish I wasn't home during the day so we could turn it down.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

72...sometimes 74 We're such south Floridians!
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
              X