Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vacuum RANT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum RANT

If you are in the market for a new vacuum, let me save you some time and frustration. Do NOT buy a Hoover Windtunnel 2 vacuum. Total piece of $^&*. I'm on my second and will be returning this one to the store just like the last one.

Both vacuums get stuck to hardwood floors -- I can't move it and then when it finally budges, the vacuum goes flying because I am pushing or pulling so hard. I'm not kidding -- I have bruises on my leg from it running it to me. Initially, this led to all sorts of helpful suggestions from DH ("You need to push it" No $^&*?) until he tried it himself.

With the first defective one, I decided to call the helpful folks at Hoover. Surely I must be missing something, right? They suggested I take it in for service. For a vacuum I have owned for 2 days? Don't think so.

I just can't bring myself to spend the money on a Dyson or Miele. I'm trying a Shark Infinity tomorrow.

:huh: What is up with that vacuum! The last thing you want to be doing is trapsing back and forth to the store. I hope the Shark meets all your needs.

Boo Hoover Wind Tunnel 2!
    Needs

Comment

Nellie-

Come to the dark side....get the Dyson. You won't need to worry about a vacuum afterwards!

Jenn

Comment

We have a Hoover too. It does suck. We're going to be in the market for a new vaccum too.
        Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Are you saying the thing would suck so hard that it would try to (unsuccessfully) suck up the floor? I hope the Shark works better.
          Have you looked at Costco? They've got some good deals on vacuum cleaners.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Re: Vacuum RANT

Originally posted by cupcake

If you are in the market for a new vacuum, let me save you some time and frustration. Do NOT buy a Hoover Windtunnel 2 vacuum. Total piece of $^&*. I'm on my second and will be returning this one to the store just like the last one.

Both vacuums get stuck to hardwood floors -- I can't move it and then when it finally budges, the vacuum goes flying because I am pushing or pulling so hard. I'm not kidding -- I have bruises on my leg from it running it to me. Initially, this led to all sorts of helpful suggestions from DH ("You need to push it" No $^&*?) until he tried it himself.

With the first defective one, I decided to call the helpful folks at Hoover. Surely I must be missing something, right? They suggested I take it in for service. For a vacuum I have owned for 2 days? Don't think so.

I just can't bring myself to spend the money on a Dyson or Miele. I'm trying a Shark Infinity tomorrow.

If you lived closer than 7 hours I would hop on over with my Miele, and it would convince you to give in. Grrr..... we had a Hoover Windtunnel Saavy, sister to the Windtunnel 2, sorry it's causing so much trouble.
            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

i told you so

Soon you will have spent the $ difference between the Hoover and the Dyson in gas & your time spent. How about Oreck? I don't know the cost, but I know my anal retentive neat-freak neighbor loves hers.

Comment

I'm about to cave. The board exam fee on the credit card is hanging over me. But, I pretty much don't like cleaning except for vacuuming. It is close to instant gratification for me. And as the dog hair and dirt is piling up around here, I need to do something.

My friend dropped her daughter off for a play date and asked if I had looked at a Miele. She bought the Kenmore progressive that was rated #1 by CR and she hates it, is hoping it breaks soon and will replace it with a Miele.

And, yes, you did tell me so. But did I listen? Noooooo....

Comment

I'm frustrated for you! I totally hear you about vacuuming - it makes a huge difference! My in-laws have a Miele that is probably about dh's age. I don't know about the Dysons, but Mieles are so quiet. I would be SO jealous!
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

miele,miele,miele,miele

You'll be sooooooo happy! :dyson:

kris
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                      I'm frustrated for you! I totally hear you about vacuuming - it makes a huge difference! My in-laws have a Miele that is probably about dh's age. I don't know about the Dysons, but Mieles are so quiet. I would be SO jealous!
                      It is so quiet. I love it. I can have a conversation with anyone in person or on the phone. Not to mention it gets me hardwood floors super clean- so clean the kids can slide across them.

Not to mention the amount of money spent between buying new vacuums over the last few years, I could taken it and bought a really good Miele. Oh, and if this isn't incentive enough, IF a Miele ever needs to be repaired, a belt costs $30, and a new motor is $70; as for Dyson a new belt is $75 with a 2 week wait on the part from the company, and didn't ask about a new motor. I know to repair our old Windtunnel it was going to cost $200.
                      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Which model do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                          Which model do you have?
                          I have a friend who has a cat, and 3 boys and has the Miele S251 Miele Plus (our local dealer had them for $299) and that works great for them. As for us, we looked at it, but because of my dust allergies we went with the Miele Callisto, and anything above that was fluff for us. We bought it through a dealer in ID, and the store was adding onto the warranty- 4 yrs comprehensive, and 5 year motor warranty. The traditional company warranty is 1 yr comprehensive and 5 yr motor.

I know that the vacuum store we bought ours I asked about repairs between the brands I was asking about, and if you are interested in the info PM me.
                          Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                            miele,miele,miele,miele

You'll be sooooooo happy! :dyson:

kris
                            Kris,

I never thought I would be in LOVE with a vacuum, but I have found my love. My kids even want to vacuum because the power brush can be lowered to their height. hehehehe
                            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I knew if I thought about this enough I could justify it. I realized that Little Miss Sunshine will likely get us a tax refund this year. And now I have good reason to shake a leg on getting our taxes done this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X