Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mini Laundry room makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Laundry room makeover

Our new washer / dryer are stackable, and I'm considering having the delivery men stack them to create more space. If we do that, then we'll make a counter for folding clothes, and add shelves above the counter. I'm concerned that a counter right next to the washer/dryer would then make it difficult to access the back of the appliances if we needed to. The advantage would be storage under the counter as well -- maybe for the hamper?

OR, I can have them side by side, like the old ones, and put a counter on top. Then add more shelves above the whole space. In this scenario, I'm concerned that the washer/dryer is so deep that I'd have a hard time reaching the shelves.

It's a very tiny room - roughly 5'x5', so there's not a lot of space to work / arrange.

Does anyone have stackables and have experience w/space needed on either side? Although now that I think about it, most stackables are in closets, so I guess there are ways to deal with that.

Suggestions? Opinions?

I had a stackable and I loved it. It really did free up a whole lot of space. (we had to put it in the kitchen) They don't require any more room than your regular w/d combos with doors, etc.

Jenn

Comment

Re: Mini Laundry room makeover

Originally posted by Genivieve
      Our new washer / dryer are stackable, and I'm considering having the delivery men stack them to create more space. If we do that, then we'll make a counter for folding clothes, and add shelves above the counter. I'm concerned that a counter right next to the washer/dryer would then make it difficult to access the back of the appliances if we needed to. The advantage would be storage under the counter as well -- maybe for the hamper?
      The simple solution is instead of installing a built-in counter, put something more like a table in, that could be removed if need be. Could still be custom built. You definitely want it make it tall enough that it'll be a comfortable height for folding (about waist high?), which should leave plenty of room underneath for things like hampers or extra baskets, etc.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I like the Elfa shelving from the Container Store. Similar to the Rubbermaid stuff from Home Depot or Lowes but I prefer the Elfa. Anyway, you could easily remove the shelves and put them back if need, or adjust the height, etc.

Hmm...no table (I think they have a solid melamine-like table like top) but how about something like this:

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
          I like the Elfa shelving from the Container Store
          Love love love love LOVE Elfa! We completely redid our pantry with the drawer/basket things when they had their big sale in January (apparently it's an annual thing). *So* much better than big deep shelves that stuff got lost in. Highly recommended.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

We have done 5 Elfa closets and one pantry. And one of the Home Depot brand.

I love the Elfa stuff and the annual sale too. It is SO easy to install.

Doesn't look like there is one in your area, Jenn. Maybe you could combine with a TJs roadtrip.

Comment

I'm starting to think it might be best to leave them side by side. If I put a counter across the top, it will provide a lot more counter space, and leave a lot more space on the wall for shelving. I'd lose the under counter space for hampers, but that could stay in the corner where it is right now.

I dunno. I have until Wednesday to decide if I want them stacked.

More feedback please.

Comment

We had a Container Store until about 2 months after we moved here. They closed down. I could do a Chicago TJ/Container Store run. But I'm trying to do this on the cheap (never a good sign). We already have brackets and wood from shelving dh did in his office downstairs. All I'd need is the counter piece.

Comment

Is this DIY or hire someone?

Do you need a counter or can you use the top of the washer and then put shelving above? We have a front loader and I use the top to rest stuff and move it around. The laundry is in the garage so I don't spend much time there but if it was warmer/lighter/not in the garage, I would use it for folding.

Sometimes I wish they were stacked, other times I am glad they aren't. Does that help? :>

Comment

Oops, cross-posted.

Bummer. Bet they aren't coming back. There is also one in St. Louis.

I paid for shipping before they opened here. It's that much better.

Comment

I could use the tops as the counter. I assume you don't have the pedestal base thingys? DH gets all wiggy about stuff on top of them (too bad really - like he regularly does the laundry). I think the only thing I'd lose / prefer with the counter would be the 'all the way to the walls' facet. As in, stuff not falling down behind / to the sides of the washer.

What makes you wish they were stacked? When are you happy they aren't?

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                        What makes you wish they were stacked? When are you happy they aren't?
                        Enough with the difficult questions!

The to the wall factor isn't an issue. I haven't drop much or anything back there.

Ok, I wish they were stacked so that I didn't have to deal with the s****y cabinets that are above them. If they were stacked, I would put in some sort of shelf tower next to them and probably have more efficient space for all the stuff in said cabinets and extra room on top of that.

I'm glad they aren't stacked because....hmmm. I need the space to spread things out. We queue up the laundry on the top and I need room to put a basket of clean or dirty clothes as I change it.

No pedestals.

Comment

We have ours side-by-side and I really prefer it that way. We have a countertop that stretches across the top of them and goes across the whole wall over a cabinet and then the sink area. (I'll dig up a picture).

It gives us space to fold/sort etc..then up top we have cabinets installed that match the kitchen cabinets....

kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                          X